Soaking fruit for marmalade

jxbrown(z10/24 SD, CA)April 4, 2013

I made some tangerine marmalade today. I obediently soaked the cut fruit for 24 hours and then cooked it without changing the water as instructed in the recipe. Since the raw peel was not terribly bitter the final results were pretty good although my experience with marmalade is that it mellows quite a bit after resting for a couple of months. I'm just curious if the water soak does anything. The fruit didn't seem to have changed much over night. I'm wandering if this is a traditional step that isn't really necessary or if this was just kind of thin, mellow peel that didn't benefit much from soaking.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
malna

I taste a piece of the raw peel and decide if it's too bitter or not (usually thicker skinned citrus like grapefruit, some oranges, etc.) If it is, the only thing I do is boil it in a small amount of water for about 5 minutes and drain off the water. Taste it again, and it might need another 5 minutes of boiling if it's still too bitter. Drain again (also softens the peel a bit which I happen to like) - sometimes I do save the water at this stage to add to the recipe. It depends :-)

Then I proceed with the rest of the steps. Hope that helps.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 4:07PM
More Discussions
preserving venison
I have questions for those of you that harvest and...
KSprairie
Roasting previously frozen peppers
Has anyone had any experience either oven roasting...
ekgrows
Citric acid - powder or crystal form
I have been making simple jams for years but have been...
psittacine
Making Garlic or Herb Infused Oils at Home
Now that I figured out the new format, I can post this...
malna
Cranberry Vinegar
Every few years I make a batch of cranberry vinegar...
CA Kate
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™