Looks like this forum's starting to pick up

Anakaleki(z9FriendswoodTX)July 27, 2004

I'm glad more people have joined this forum! I just wanted to say mahalo to Mokihana for answering my post about the leis, even after exactly one month of it's being unanswered.

I'd also like to ask about plumeria: my uncle's friends in Hawai'i dig up their plumeria and hang them in their garage to make them go dormant. Does that mean plumeria HAVE to go dormant at some time?

Also, I found an alternative for plumeria blossoms in lei making for people in less tropical zones: natal plums, the flowers are almost exactly the same except for being smaller.

Aloha, Andrew

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
The_Foliage_Kid(Zone 6)

Glad to see your forum is gaining momentum. It's fun to drop in here on occassion and see what's going on out in the Pacific.

Bookmark   July 28, 2004 at 11:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hulagal(z11HAWAII)

Aloha Andrew!

I do not know the answer to your question as to why your Uncle's friends force their plumerias into dormancy. I do know that there are two types of plumerias. One is an evergreen and the other is deciduous. I live on windward side of Oahu and I have 5 huge plumeria trees, all the deciduous type, and when they lose their leaves and go dormant every winter, they look like ghosts. Maybe the friends in Hawaii have the deciduous type also, and just don't want to look at the bare naked plants thru the winter? Mine are too huge to dig up, they are all about 20 feet tall and have been here probably 40 years. Sorry I can't be more help.

I just wanted you to know someone is out here listening way over here in the Pacific!!

Aloha, Melanie

Bookmark   July 29, 2004 at 3:37PM
More Discussions
Is my favourite hawaiian seller gone for good?
Hey guys, I'm just dropping in from the fragrant forum...
fenius
Keep compost pile from sprouting
We just got another house and the backyard is a "bit"...
hotzcatz
Powdery Mildew
When I first started gardening in Nanakuli 4 years...
ediblelandscape
Vireyas in Hilo
The local chapter of the Rhododendron Society is doing...
steiconi
Pepper seeds
I was thinking of ordering some peppers. I live on...
Backfreeze
Sponsored Products
Crystorama Regis Bronze 24" Wide Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
Cheery Cherries Bowl
$19.99 | Dot & Bo
Angled Rectangular Sandstone Vessel Sink
Signature Hardware
Unbranded Eyeball 6 in. Recessed White Trim 1136-15
$16.13 | Home Depot
Small Limo Sectional
Opulent Items