pakalana

naninaniJuly 17, 2006

anyone out there got some pakalana and know how to best grow them? i live on maui, (sea-level) near the sea, windy conditions and hot (on most days) ... and we have mountain ranges less than a mile away ... where the clouds gather causing it to be humid down here. mahalo, if you can help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
raliegh

I have for months tried to get my neighbors Pakalana vine to grow into a pot and root. This has failed. However, recently, someone told me to put a paper bag around the flower cluster and catch the seeds. It sounds as if we are in the same location and Pakalana does grow Lahaina Side.

Bookmark   July 19, 2006 at 2:07PM
izzybelle(11)

Pakalana has a pod that is similar but not as big as the stephanosis seedpod. When the pod is brown and dry, it will crack open and small flat seeds with a lot of white fluff will explode out and fly all over with the lightest breeze...a mess to clean up in your house. Plant those seeds and you'll have more plants than you can shake a stick at. Barring getting your hands on a seed pod, try hooking a portion of the vine into the ground and pack down the stem. It may grow roots but you must keep it evenly moist and potting soil may be too loose. Another way might be to airlayer it but the stems are kind of flimsy and not thick. Each method does take time, though. Good luck and keep in mind that there is more than one type of pakalana. The "regular" one that most people use and have for leis and the "giant" one that has a larger flower but not as intense a scent.

Bookmark   July 22, 2006 at 5:07PM
kaseys_buzz

The Pakalana vine is delivered to the large home improvement stores on Maui only certain times of the year. So far the plant vendor's haven't delivered any. If you haven't had any luck getting this vine, drop me a line and I will see if I can locate one for you. A friend of mine just repotted one for me. Maybe she will have another...I also live on Maui...

Bookmark   August 21, 2006 at 2:24AM
More Discussions
Tindora or Ivy Gourd ( coccinnea grandis)
I have heard that Tindora or Ivy Gourd ( coccinnea...
trivedi_south
Neem trees
Anyone know of a nursery in The Islands that sells...
MJMaui
Hibiscus group on Big Island?
Anybody know of a Hibiscus group or society or club...
steiconi
Powdery Mildew
When I first started gardening in Nanakuli 4 years...
ediblelandscape
young mango not growing
I live in east Honolulu and planted a Florigon mango in...
Kathleen Kihmm Connolly
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™