Seeds from Hawaii

TallFlowerinMI(z5 MI)July 6, 2005

My dear friend who took a trip to Hawaii and who knows I love to grow ANYTHING that will grow brought back seeds from the following 3 plants. Bird of Paradise, Passion Flower, and Pink Banana. The pictures on the packages are stunning, but being the novice that I am about seed propogation, I have killed 6 of each so far. Only 2 left of each species, and I don't want to mess this up again. I have kept them warm and moist. I read that 2 of them have germination periods up to 8 weeks. I check them daily. I sanded the hard ones to peirce the shell. Does anyone have any tips to keep me from killing the rest of my seeds?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ilima

For most tropical plants to germinate temperature is critical. You need to keep them as warm as possible. It can vary a bit by species but night time temps below 70 degrees is going to slow things down. Below 65 degrees at night on a continuous basis it can be fatal or impossible to get germination in some tropicals.

I see the little seed and cuttings prepackaged for sale in various tourist stores and they look a bit questionable to begin with and may not be the freshest seed. Were they dated?

ilima

Bookmark   July 8, 2005 at 4:50AM
More Discussions
Upcountry Vegetable Gardening Hawaii Island
Finally retired, and ready to start a new vegetable...
volcanovillage
Streptocarpus in Hawaii
I've grown Streps in cooler climates before, but now...
maui_jen
Help ID small tree/bush
It's about 6'tall, 6' wide.
borgf15
Starting Lilikoi from seed?
Aloha, Have tried and tried, and can't seem to figure...
garden_isle_dave
Lava rock
I am curious if the lava rock sold for grill use can...
susanZ9B
Sponsored Products
Paris Flea Market Chandelier
$1,500.00 | Horchow
Torus One Light Seeded Glass Mini Pendant
Lamps Plus
Talista Wall Mounted 4-Light Outdoor Royal Bronze Lantern with Clear Seeded
Home Depot
Geneva Flush Mount
Lightology
Newton Outdoor Postmount by Troy Lighting
$396.00 | Lumens