I think my 3 year old munstead lavender s have died!

libraqueen81April 5, 2014

I have 8 munstead lavender plants that have survived each winter but I fear not this winter was to cold and possibly killed them because they are all crunchy to the touch and the bark appears to have split. I never really saw them like this before so I'm a bit freaked out as they are my babies :). .any thoughts anyone?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

My only thought is to wait and see. Give them a chance to shoot from the stems. If there's no sign of life by July they are probably goners. Have you scratched the bark to see it it's green underneath?

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 2:41PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Splitting bark sounds like cold damage. I wouldn't wait around on replacing these with something hardier.

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 2:49PM
libraqueen81

These lavenders are hardy to my zone and are 3 years old and have survived winters past. I'm thinking since this past winter was really bad with sub zero temps, it might have done something to them.
I did the scratch test, thanks Floral_UK, I totally forgot about that one. All 8 have different results in different spots. So I did the scratch test on the main stem of each. It's all good there. I'm wondering if its too soon to prune? They are really big sized Lavenders and it would be a shame if they got woody. I usually prune after the first flowering, but since there is a lot of dead and dry parts, would it be a bad idea to give a good prune?

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 3:09PM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

I agreed. Wait and see - you've got nothing to loose. I must say that it has been a hard and long winter here in the Northeast. If your winter has been the same, definitely wait. New growth is still some while off so I would wait to prune the lavender. Do it when the temperature gets more mild and perennial plants start to show their new growth. That is the time when plants like sage, thyme, and lavender perk up and begin to show what is alive and what is dead.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 1:36PM
More Discussions
Different varieties of papalo?
I have papalo seed from 4 different vendors for a while...
KudosFromUdo
plants in cat litter bags?
I've seen pics of plants growing in reusable shopping...
mystmaiden
How should I dry my parsley leaves?
I have three large bunches of Parsley. How should I...
zzackey
What is attacking my precious basil?
I have a 4 foot grow light (2 tubes 6500K) in my living...
xiaobao12
fruit flies
how do I get rid of fruit flies in my herb plants
Sponsored Products
Contour Two-Light Sconce
$123.00 | Bellacor
D419 4" Die-Cast Aluminum Wall Wash by WAC Lighting
$36.00 | Lumens
Varaluz Dreamweaver 10" Wide ADA Compliant Bath Light
Lamps Plus
Visit Locking Wall-Mount Mailbox
Signature Hardware