soil for rosemary

reneenunez(PNW Z8)April 27, 2008

I read a few posts on growing rosemary and there seems to be some debate on soil type. Everyone seems to agree that well drained soil is a must so I am not going to grow it in my largely black clay soil.

My idea is to mix some garden soil with perlite and dillo dirt. To improve aeration and prevent compaction. Does this seem like a good idea?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Clay soil isn't a problem, as long as it drains. I have my rosemary growing quite happily in my hard, red Alabama clay. I'm careful about watering, of course....but it has done very well. I have several plants.

If you DO decide to amend the soil, be sure to do a very large planting area not just the hole where the plant will go.

Bookmark   April 27, 2008 at 4:55PM
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

Mix in some sand and perlite, dig down about 8 inches deeper than its originally potted in. This should give some dainage. also a mound planting can help too. Rosemary isn't that fussy, as I had it in level 'gravely' soil with minimal drainage and it did just fine.

Bookmark   April 27, 2008 at 5:11PM
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

The best method of amending soil is to add lots of compost to it. It works with heavy clay or sandy soils and anything in between to improve drainage and soil condition. You could toss in a bit of dolomite, too, which helps to break up the clay.

Bookmark   April 27, 2008 at 8:42PM
lavenderkitty(7aNC)

I removed the sod and dumped top soil onto my red clay.
I mixed in compost (cow manure). That was all. The rosemary are actually TOO big now (I planted them 3 years ago) and I constantly prune them back.
They like it dry.....once established, do not water them.

Bookmark   April 27, 2008 at 11:00PM
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

Cow manure, must be composted about a year before use. If added in a fresh state it can damage and kill plants, as well as produce many odd looking weeds.

Bookmark   April 28, 2008 at 1:18PM
More Discussions
Something is eating my basil leaves
Hello - I planted basil seeds in my raised garden and...
Bimaldshah
Growing herbs
Hi all new to this gardening so want as someone something. I...
margowicz
Mold on Dirt
Couple of questions. I am using the Burpee Greenhouses...
jaltman
thyme as a house plant
HAPPY 2015 with snow on the ground (just a dusting)...
mauri256
Starting & Growing Mandrake
Hello! So, I was lucky enough to receive 5 Mandrake,...
stardrifting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™