Splitting an OLD Tropical hibiscus

HibiscusLover1984(I straddle 5a5b zone.)April 3, 2011

My Hibiscus was given to me 2 years ago by a women who told me that she's had it for 15 years as did the person who gave it to her. It is a beautiful tree and has always given me beautiful full red blooms. I put it outside as soon as weather allows and she remains til it starts to get cold. A racoon ate a large portion but she came back from that. She has even survived a dose of weed killer(the breeze picked up). I've pruned any dead wood and seem to be doing wonderfully. I worry about it becoming root bound though, as it hasn't been repotted in at least 5 years. (The woman can't remember when she did it.) Some older roots are becoming visible around the base, Should I cover these back up? Also can a tropical hibiscus be split? If so, How-to? I'd love to have 2 of these beautiful plants instead of one LARGE one. Any and all information would be welcome! :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TulsaRose z7a, Tulsa OK(7a)

I'm under the impression the Tropical Hibiscus grow from a single trunk. You might consider taking softwood cuttings and start them for new plants. It would probably be a good idea to repot your old girl, at least go up one size.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tropical Hibiscus care

Bookmark   April 9, 2011 at 6:41PM
More Discussions
Beautiful indoor hibiscus bloom
Nothing is better to help you survive the dreary winter...
arctictropical
Project time
finally decided to pull the trigger and build a little...
merkity
Hibiscus from cuttings ??
I was lucky to obtain a cutting from a lovely yellow...
Country Sunflower
Raising soil level up trunk
Hi there, I have an established 3m high woody hibiscus...
laurie_tennant
new seedling
one of my seedlings bloomed. nice flower shape - have...
merkity
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™