ID Question

JGW3(7)April 28, 2013

Hello,

I started these from seeds about 8 wks ago. They were sold to me as Texas Star. At this point I am wondering if that's true. The leave look nothing like those of a Texas Star. So just wanted everyone else's opinion. I'm guessing an exact ID would be impossible but can I rule Texas Star out. Dang ebay! It doesn't matter if your buying or selling people just want to take advantage.

Thanks,
John

This post was edited by JGW3 on Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 7:57

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Gutzmek(6)

JGW3,
I do not have any 'Texas Star' or 'Confederate Rose' Hibiscus so I am unsure of the leaf pattern. To me it looks like a a Hibiscus Moscheutoes variety. The tear drop leaf pattern leads me to a few ideas as I have 9 different varieties. This is either a Robert Fleming, or more than likely a Luna series. The bloom color and later growth with determine. Along with my Tropicals and Syriacus, I like these plants. The huge blooms from mature plants is an eye catcher. Currently I have the below:
Lord Baltimore
Robert Fleming
Plum Crazy
Luna White
Kopper King
Midnight Marvel
Cranberry Crush
Fireball
And Torchy

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 9:21PM
wally_1936(8b)

Star Hibiscus puts on a MJ like leaf and the Confederate Rose Hibiscus puts on a large leaf like what we use to call a cigar tree. I have only seen those leaves on Hardy hibiscus . Star Hibiscus seeds are larger than Hardy Hibiscus seeds, about 1/3 larger but they do look the same. But I take that back they may start out that way but if that is a Star Hibiscus the leaves will change later, if not then it is not a Star Hibiscus. Why does anyone here buy Star Hibiscus seeds. We usually give them away come August, that is unless they produce earlier. I have at least 5 plants I expect to share as soon as they are ready. Sorry about the weeds, this was taken a couple weeks back. As for the Confederate Rose Hibiscus the seeds are small, round and very fuzzy

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 1:05AM
Nscherf

Hi,

Its been a while since I've tried growing Texas Star Hibiscus by seed so I could be wrong. when I grew mine by seed if I remember right they looked just like that when they came out and as it got bigger the leaves began to change to a star shape. I believe they started to change when the plant reached 1 foot in height maybe sooner. Hope this helps.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 8:10PM
wally_1936(8b)

Confederate Rose Hibiscus leaves

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 1:07AM
jperilloux(8b LA)

It's possible those are Texas Star. Mature plants have thin, long, jagged edged leaves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas Star

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 8:55AM
More Discussions
What variety (or color) shall I be?
Well, my mystery hibiscus from Logee's that was of...
dbarron
Hibiscus group on Big Island?
Is there a Hibiscus group/society/club on the East...
steiconi
A very nice "weed"
This one grows as a weed at my place, in that it self...
tropicbreezent
How beautful are these!!!
These are winter hardy hibiscus that i just ordered. They...
tlbean2004
new website format not fun
I really don't like the new format...
merkity
Sponsored Products
Furniture of America Unique Wood Bookcase/ Display Cabinet - Red Cocoa - UPS-ID2
$266.00 | Hayneedle
Abetta Wide Flex Sublime Super Cushion Trail Saddle - 20500FW6BK
$449.30 | Hayneedle
AICO Furniture - Villagio Dresser - 58051-44
Great Furniture Deal
AICO Furniture - Monte Carlo II 3 Piece Occasional Set -...
Great Furniture Deal
Abetta Serenity Endurance Saddle - 205545BK
$451.45 | Hayneedle
AICO Furniture - Biscayne West Dresser w/Mirror Sand - 80050-260-102
Great Furniture Deal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™