How invasive is horehound?

christinmk z5b eastern WAApril 29, 2013

My mum really wants me to grow some horehound (Marrubium) for her. I hear different things about the invasiveness factor. Apparently it is a noxious weed in TX- not sure about anywhere else. I don't want to plant it if it is terribly invasive- not after the difficult time I've had dealing with oregano-gone-wild, lol.

Do you grow it and has it been a problem for you? Spread by both seed and rhizome I assume?
Thanks much!
CMK

This post was edited by christinmk on Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 14:42

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CaraRose

We had it as a weed around my house since I was little. As far as weeds go, I've dealt with worse. I think it primarily spread by seed (which it probably produces a lot of, judging from the number of tiny flowers), I never noticed it appear to spread via roots or rhizomes.

I'm not sure if it's annual or perennial. You may be able to deadhead the flowers off and avoid reseeding.

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:36PM
fatamorgana2121

Invasiveness in my heavy-clay, Western NY State location is about a 0. I actually have trouble keeping it going - I think the plant I did have is gone. RIP. Not sure I'll keep trying. I think I've killed 4 different plants here over the last 10 years.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 4:04PM
christinmk z5b eastern WA

Humm....polar opposite answers there, lol. Maybe I'll give it a go and simply hack off the flower heads before they set seed.
CMK

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 9:20PM
eibren(z6PA)

It doesn't grow all that fast. Ify ou hrvest it to dry and use, I doubt it would be a problem.

It has reseeded in my area, in a spot with little sun but sharp drainage, but was easily overshadowed by other plants eventually.

On the other hand, some I had out next to the street in a pot has overwintered with no protection.

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 10:49PM
fatamorgana2121

Yes, "invasiveness" and success is largely dependent upon your conditions and so vary wildly. I wish you luck!

FataMorgana

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 8:18AM
CaraRose

Just to clarify, it was weedy here, but only in areas that you didn't tend to. If you ripped it up before it went to seed it would vanish. I didn't consider it invasive.

Pollinators love it :)

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 10:48AM
More Discussions
Cuttings from thyme
I wonder, I live in Zone 6 and my thyme plant has made...
Steve349
Rosmarinus officinalis 'Barbeque'
I received this plant mail order and found it to be...
chervil2
Starting & Growing Mandrake
Hello! So, I was lucky enough to receive 5 Mandrake,...
stardrifting
Basil has me stumped
Hi - any idea what is attacking my basil? It is in...
martini100_gw
Need help with basil and other herbs
I am trying to grow herbs and I live in India. Firstly,...
zenovia_p
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™