17' Disco Pink is coming back

silverdollar(z8 La)May 12, 2005

This darn plant that never put out one bud/bloom last year has returned. I cut it off at 5' in late fall. No nitrogen was ever added. It is now at 8' and growing taller every day. I cut some stems back to make it bushier. Any suggestions on putting out some blooms? I just bought "Hidden Valley" fertilizer hoping that would help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patecake78613(austin,tx)

It only blooms on the tips. Maybe you are cuting it before it has a chance to bloom?

Bookmark   May 13, 2005 at 11:31AM
silverdollar(z8 La)

Patecake, I cut it last fall and trimmed it when it started putting out branches before this sprng. (a few months ago) Usually, mine bloom starting lst of June.

Bookmark   May 14, 2005 at 10:57AM
birdinthepalm

Sorry , if it seems a dumb question, but are you talking about "disco pink" hardy hibiscus??? I didn't know they would keep growing through the winter, since ours always die back to ground level for the winter and send up new shoots in the spring. I'd think though that that one needs a winter dormancy period to flower, but I may have misunderstood which variety you have. Maybe yours is a "tropical"??? hibiscus???

Bookmark   May 21, 2005 at 7:13PM
silverdollar(z8 La)

Bird, it is a hardy hibiscus that is common. We don't have hard winters here in hot Louisiana. The base of the plant is large as my wrist.(7-8") Last fall, I cut it down to 5' and checked the trunk in February. It was still green wood. It is now about 14' tall and bushy. It does have new shoots around the base also which won't get much sun due this monster I have growing. This is why I am asking for advice. I have never had one do this before.
Thanks for the response.

Bookmark   May 21, 2005 at 7:50PM
beachbarbie(z9a/8b NC)

I bet once you start adding the fertilizer, it'll start blooming. Either that, or you just haven't been paying it proper homage - telling it how gorgeous it is, bowing before it, ya know, the usual..... HA!
I've never heard that it, or any other hibiscus for that matter, needs a dormancy. Anyone out there have more thoughts on that?
Barb

Bookmark   May 23, 2005 at 9:32PM
dstartz(9a)

I'd use only a phosphorus fertilizer. Any nitrogen would only exacerbate the growth 'problem' you already have.

Bookmark   June 4, 2005 at 4:05PM
bruggirl(8b)

Just use some triple superphosphate. That will spur it to bloom without making it grow any more. Is it near your drain field, by any chance? If so, that may explain the growth. I planted one by my drain field in SC once, and it went berserk!

But yes, it only blooms on the tips of the stems, so cutting it back is defeating the purpouse.

Bookmark   June 6, 2005 at 9:35PM
More Discussions
Hibiscus Fertilizer
I purchased a container of Carl Pool hibiscus food...
elizabethk1
Hibiscus group on Big Island?
Is there a Hibiscus group/society/club on the East...
steiconi
Epsom Salt or Vinegar to help Blooms
Which one is better suited to encourage blooming?
bradley787
new seedling
one of my seedlings bloomed. nice flower shape - have...
merkity
Abelmoschus Manihot problem
I have a question about my Abelmoschus Manihot. I've...
marricgardens
Sponsored Products
Mirror Image Pink Murex Shells 30153
Beyond Stores
Pink And Raspberry "A" Striped Monogram Kids Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Vig Furniture - Chloe (LS103DA) Multi Colored Fabric Sectional...
Great Furniture Deal
Tissue Pod in Pink
$39.99 | Dot & Bo
Pink Tulip Tiffany Table Lamp
ParrotUncle
Trend Lab Maya 2 Piece Frame Set - 101522
$24.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™