Plants for privacy*

hug_a_tree(11)August 14, 2005

Aloha!

I have a low fence wall between my neighbor and myself. They're such wonderful people that I've never bothered to put something higher between us. Recently, we got a chihuahua and she barks at everyone but us. I don't want her to constantly bark at them everytime they come out.

What can I grow up against a concrete fence that will have tall, dense, and fast results? I am a fan of foliage and flowers (who isn't yeah?), but I'm willing to try whatever grows the best. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Mahalo nui loa!

Da Tree Huggin Wahine~*

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JoeV(h2)

Although not much on flowers, Naupaka gets the job done for us.

Bookmark   August 18, 2005 at 3:13PM
johndp8888(Oahu, Hawaii)

You might try the varigated Hau tree. Very colorful, drought tolerent, can be dense if prunned properly and available at Home depot.

Bookmark   August 22, 2005 at 4:54PM
hug_a_tree(11)

Mahalo nui loa for your help John and Joe!

Bookmark   August 29, 2005 at 3:50PM
ahlisa(z10 HI)

Have you thought about Areca palms? I don't know how well they would do up against a wall, but boy do they grow fast. We have a neighbor who has an inpenetrable wall of arecas that grew about 5 feet in ... maybe 6 months.

Bookmark   October 19, 2005 at 3:17PM
giavid(11 PR)

I live in Puerto Rico and was trying exactly that, plant some arecas to create a natural boundary between my property and my neighbors. But they don't seem to grow. I have had them for over a year and a half with little or no growth. Any advice on what I can do to have them grow faster?

Thanks

Bookmark   November 12, 2005 at 2:59PM
hug_a_tree(11)

Aloha!!
I wanted to post a follow up on my privacy question. My husband bought a small new plant because he loved the "deep maroon colored foliage". I looked it up and its a: Hibiscus acetosella or Red shield. Its lovely and boy does it grow fast. No kidding. We've already trimmed once and it's only been in the ground two months. It's 4 feet now with nice dense width. The "flowers are a rich blood colored red". Its really nice, and a great morning bloomer. I highly recommend it for these type of privacy issues. I posted an image below. Mahalo for your suggestions!

Da tree huggin wahine~*

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   November 19, 2005 at 5:18PM
kaseys_buzz

Creeping Fig found in the large home improvement garden centers in the ground cover table will attach itself to a concrete wall eventually covering it. I have it growing up on my mailbox and every now and then the Postman leaves me a nice note to "trim my mailbox". Okay, so sometimes I get too busy and can't keep up with it, but it makes an excellent devider since you mention you have concrete and a fence...

Bookmark   August 22, 2006 at 2:11AM
johndp8888(Oahu, Hawaii)

We have much the same problem and are using the variagated Hau and beach Naupaka. I am considering the Hibiscus acetosella as it is easy to grow and propagate.

However, it does not have enough salt tolerance for where we are.

What is the approximate elevation, sun condition (full or partial)and windward or leeward? All these have an affect on what will grow well for you.

John

Bookmark   August 23, 2006 at 1:23PM
More Discussions
Camellia sinensis
Hi, I just bought this plant at the urban garden center....
borgf15
Powdery Mildew
When I first started gardening in Nanakuli 4 years...
ediblelandscape
Kukui tree
I love Kukui trees because they provide a ton of shade,...
notguilty-808
Wetland taro in a bucket
Does anyone have experience growing wetland taro in...
Anakaleki
Geiger tree
Hi there, I recently came across a small geiger tree...
dazed77
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™