New gardener - what am I doing wrong?

RF1279(6)May 29, 2011

I hope someone here can help me. I'm a first-time gardener (on an NYC terrace, so everything is in pots) and I'm having a little trouble with the hibiscus I bought a month or so ago. For the first few weeks it looked beautiful and healthy, like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62611197@N06/5768018388/

Now, sadly, it looks like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62611197@N06/5771074335/

Every day more and more of the leaves seem to turn yellow, and eventually they fall off. I'm wondering what I am doing wrong? I know that they like sun (and my terrace gets lots of it) but here in New York we had about a two-week stretch where it rained every day and the sun never peeked out for more than a couple of minutes. Could that be why? It didn't get overly wet since there is another balcony that overhangs mine, but maybe it just didn't get enough light? Is there anything I can do to "revive" it?

Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosco_p(z6a ont.canada)

Your Hibiscus still looks healthy. I would think from what I can see that your plant is just experiencing transplant shock and should revive shortly. Just make sure that the potting medium does not remain saturated with water and after you see a little new growth you could give it a bit of liquid fertilizer to give it a boost.

Bookmark   May 29, 2011 at 9:00PM
More Discussions
new website format not fun
I really don't like the new format...
merkity
Help with Hibiscus
Hi! I recently bought a bunch of hibiscus on clearance...
sgreer13
Please help!
I purchased a lovely pale yellow hibiscus 2 years ago...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
new seedling
one of my seedlings bloomed. nice flower shape - have...
merkity
Is it ok to plant a hibiscus in a pot with no drainage holes?
Hi, I'd like to use this huge pot for one of my hibiscuses....
figsinhawaii
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™