Help Save My Cucumbers!

kai-in-kailuaAugust 22, 2009

Aloha gardening community!

I have a small vegetable garden in my back yard in Kailua O'ahu. I have been gardening when I'm home from college in the summer. I have been learning SO much from the the process! But now I'm stuck!

I think something is viciously attacking my cucumbers! I have two cucumber plants and both of their leaves are suffering from damage. The older leaves turn a much lighter color and have some patches that go all white. Some of the leaves also have what look like bites taken out of them in the middle and around the edges. I have seen some little yellow and black balls on the backs of the leaves as well. Other than that, the backs look pretty similar to the front.

I though these cucumbers had white fly earlier in the summer, so for a while I was spraying them with a soap solution, but I thought that might be damaging the leaves... so I stopped. I also checked the leaves at night for caterpillars once or twice with no luck. Recently I have seen a lot of ants and black lady bug beetles on the cucumbers... could those be what's hurting them?

I'll try attaching some pictures so y'all can see what I'm rambling about!

Thanks so much for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kai-in-kailua

hi again!

I have pictures! But I can't figure out how to post them! Is there anyway to do it strait from my computer, or do I have to upload them to the internet first? thanks!

Bookmark   August 22, 2009 at 5:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mauirose(11)

you have to upload them to somewhere on the net first. Photobucket is a popular option-you can open a free account and just cut and paste the code that will insert a picture in your post. If you upload them to a personal site you can use this html code-

paste the url of the picture (right click on pix, select 'properties', copy) between the quote marks. Don't use the space you see after the first bracket or before the second bracket. if i don't put it in there you won't be able to see the code.

Bookmark   August 23, 2009 at 3:10AM
More Discussions
Tree Collards
I understand there is a tree collard that never goes...
ediblelandscape
Help ID small tree/bush
It's about 6'tall, 6' wide.
borgf15
Pua KiniKini with no blooms
My Pua KiniKini tree is many years old, looks just...
JanisB
Streptocarpus in Hawaii
I've grown Streps in cooler climates before, but now...
maui_jen
Vanda Orchid
Last week I was at the Bazaar at Waipahu United Church...
randg
Sponsored Products
Period Arts | Altus Ceiling Fan
$280.00 | YLighting
Viper Davenport Table Tennis Table - 70-0115
$599.99 | Hayneedle
Woven Leather Rug 5' x 8'
$799.00 | Horchow
Radiax 3000K 10-Degree 6.5-Watt LED Black Spot Light
Lamps Plus
Dragonfly Patio Ceiling Fan by Quorum International
$521.00 | Lumens
Interface Area Rug II
Home Decorators Collection
Kartell | Light-Air Table Lamp
YLiving.com
Grohe Geneva Pressure Balance Valve Trim with Cross Handle - Sterling Infinity F
Modern Bathroom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™