Canning Strawberry Glaze

trudyjean82(z8SWGA)April 1, 2007

Has anyone ever done this? Strawberry pickin season is here, last year I dryed a bunch and made plenty of jelly but this year I'd like to make some of the glaze you put on top of cheesecake for use when berry season is over. Is this doable? If so can someone share a recipe and instructions on what method would be best. Thanks for your input. trudyjean

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
readinglady(z8 OR)

Hi trudyjean,

A strawberry glaze would be essentially the same as a thickened strawberry pie filling and a lot of the same criteria apply. Here's a thread we ran last year which gives you a good sense of the issues and the options.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Strawberry Pie Filling?

Bookmark   April 1, 2007 at 1:51PM
trudyjean82(z8SWGA)

Thanks Carol. I'll check it out. trudyjean

Bookmark   April 1, 2007 at 2:32PM
mellyofthesouth(9a FL)

How about making a traditional no-pectin preserve and just not taking it all the way to the jell point?

Bookmark   April 1, 2007 at 4:15PM
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

Actually, you may want a soft gel point as it would help to hold the whole berries on the object. A syrup would not work well, neither would regular gelatin. Also, a small amount of Clear Jel could be used if you concerned about excessive sugar, and you can control the amount of starch used to get to the consistancy you wish.

Bookmark   April 1, 2007 at 6:56PM
katheryn(z2-3)

Here is a recipe for strawberry topping which should work. It is from Linda Amendt's book "Blue Ribbon Preserves"

Strawberry Topping

Makes about 4 half-pint jars or 2 pint jars

5 cups hulled and sliced fresh strawberries
1-1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup water
2 tablespoons strained fresh lemon juice

In a 3 quart saucepan, combine sugar and water. Over low heat, stirring constantly, heat until sugar is completely dissolved. Stir in the crushed strawberries. Increase heat to med high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent sticking. Stir in the remaining strawberries and lemon juice. Simmer, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat. Ladle strawberry topping into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Using plastic knife, remove any trapped air bubbles. Wipe the jar rims and threads with clean, damp cloth. Cover with hot lids, apply screw rings. Process half pint jars in 200 degree hot water bath for 10 minutes, pint jars for 15 minutes.

Bookmark   April 9, 2007 at 3:06PM
koreyk

I took some strawberry juice and simply bottled it and preserved it. no trouble at all. Later I can open a jar and use it in a recipe. Because the strawberry juice is so liquid, it will heat up uniformally and fast. If you thicken the juice and then can it you will need more processing time.

Bookmark   April 9, 2007 at 7:56PM
readinglady(z8 OR)

Now that I think of it (thanks to Katheryn's reminder) Linda Amendt has a strawberry syrup recipe which would also make a wonderful glaze; it has a very intense strawberry flavor, is clear and gorgeous in color.

Carol

Bookmark   April 9, 2007 at 10:15PM
More Discussions
Thanks Harvest Forum
I didn't grow up canning and learned relatively late....
gardengalrn6
Making Garlic or Herb Infused Oils at Home
Now that I figured out the new format, I can post this...
malna
Probably a Cooking Forum question
I never go to that forum and I know several here who...
gardengalrn
Starting my own recipe
I love to cook, so how do I preserve my own recipes...
newatcanning
What to grind with?
I want to grind up some garlic and some onions to make...
woco
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™