overwintering baby hawaiian woodrose???

stabby_lorynAugust 22, 2007

I Live in Central Pennsylvania in a Zone 5 area. Last August I started 2 Baby Hawaiian Woodrose plants. I grew them under HID's through the winter and they are now 25-30ft giant vines growing in a 20 gallon tub with an obelisk in it. They run over the obelisk and up some fencing to the roof of our home. The season is getting late now and I really want to keep them so they may flower next year. If kept above freezing in the dark, will they go dormant? How can I keep them through the winter without using my HID's? Any help is MUCH appreciated. I'll be overwintering a few Brugmansias in a basement and was wondering if the BHW could do the same.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
izzybelle(11)

stabby loryn, I don't think your woodrose is really Hawaiian. Maybe you'll get better advice on overwintering in the vine forum. To be honest, I don't think anyone here even grows the vine as a honest plant. I've seen them in the "forests" on the side of the road, and occasionally for sale along with "Hawaiian" hats and such in tourist spots. I have a suspicion that they are on the "invasive" list...That being said, I remember being fascinated with them as a youngster...And, I hope that you have great luck...Each person, where they live, they take a lot of things for granted. For instance, you may have a lot of "roadside" plants growing all over that we pay dearly for...and vice versa. If I were to leave Hawaii, I would probably start a tropical yard (even if they are not really "local"). Anyway, I think I went off topic. Perhaps you can overwinter them by cutting them back and keeping them in a bright spot indoors. I wish you luck!
--Lee

Bookmark   August 26, 2007 at 5:07AM
More Discussions
Identification of Plant
Can anyone tell me what this plant is? I have googled...
possiexx
WANTED: newbie
Aloha, I'm a newbie. I'm starting an herb and veggie...
krwhit
Anybody still here?
Is Gardenweb dead, or are there still people here?
Axel
Geiger tree
Hi there, I recently came across a small geiger tree...
dazed77
Lava rock
I am curious if the lava rock sold for grill use can...
susanZ9B
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™