Hardy hibiscus

sgiraseMay 27, 2012

I have 7 hardy hibiscus that I planted 2 years ago from bareroots. Its end of May and they are just starting to show new stems. More over they just have 2-3 stems and just grew 2-3 feet last year. They are on the north side of the house near the foundation. They do get 3-4 hours of morning sunlight. Are these guys just slow to start off or they are distressed? I am not sure why they are not full grown yet.

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosco_p(z6a ont.canada)

I don't know what zone you are in...but I am in zone 6 Southwestern Ontario Canada and my hardy hibiscus are just a couple of inches tall at present. With the heat we are having presently they should be getting a growth spurt real soon. One thing about Hardy Hibiscus is early season patience until they really begin to start and then they won't be stopped.

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 8:58PM
denninmi(8a)

They are among the last perennials to start up in the spring. But, the basic problem is not enough sun. They really need full sun.

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 7:22PM
wally_1936(8b)

Right, I am here in Texas and mine was much slower than my Texas Star Hibiscus and I was beginning to believe it had died. It is now over 5 foot tall and just getting ready to bloom.

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 11:10PM
More Discussions
new seedling
one of my seedlings bloomed. nice flower shape - have...
merkity
Hibiscus leaves are curling
Help is needed. Although my plant looks healthy with...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
Probable Identity, Please
Here is a photo of a double salmon orange hybrid in...
palmfan
Rum Runner in winter form
Afternoon! just thought i would share a pic of my Rum...
merkity
Hardy Hibiscus Seed
I see many sellers on Ebay selling hardy hibiscus seeds,...
Betty Levar
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™