dead or alive Hibiscus ?

UrbanGardner100May 15, 2014

I have a hibiscus tree that is in pretty rough shape after a pretty crappy winter even though it was in a sunlit storage place the cold still got to it. Now I'm just trying to figure out whether I should keep hope alive or not. Here is a pic to try to figure it out.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Gutzmek(6)

UrbanGardner100,

Looks like you have some damage at the base of the plant, and this could be a problem. I lost 3 tropical plants this past winter from wilt disease. Best analogy is like a cut you might get, left untreated and exposed to elements, it could become infected. If completely ignored, gangrene sets in, and major tissue pieces die.

What does the rest of the plant look like?

Ed

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 9:14PM
UrbanGardner100

Oh gosh that sounds awful. I was hoping there would be something I could do for it but I'm pretty sure it's a goner. So unfortunate because it had made it through a good portion of the winter. I guess I'll have to stick to winter hardy plants.

Bookmark   May 16, 2014 at 5:19PM
merkity

have you tried the cut test? you cut off the end of a branch and see if its green inside - if its all brown and dried out, cut farther down ....hopefully you find some green in there...

Bookmark   May 16, 2014 at 11:23PM
More Discussions
Searching for Hibiscus Bloom Holder
I'm looking for a glass tabletop "vase" designed...
mspam
Hibiscus Fertilizer
I purchased a container of Carl Pool hibiscus food...
elizabethk1
A very nice "weed"
This one grows as a weed at my place, in that it self...
tropicbreezent
Is my hibiscus dead?
I bought 2 hibicuses last year, and they did wonderfully....
chloe3871
Hibiscus Sabdariffa seeds
aka: Roselle or Tea Hibiscus I recently tried tea that...
pat_w
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™