Does salt expire?

gardengalrn(5KS)April 17, 2007

I'm cleaning cupboards for my move and found two canisters of Ball's pickling salt. One has "use by Apr 2007" and the other is newer. I wanted to combine the two canisters as they are both half full. Does salt expire? I didn't think it did. Can you think of any reason not to still use the salt? Lori

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shirleywny5(5)

Go ahead and combine them. If it looks OK and moisture has not gotten into the container it is perfectly all-right to use the salt no matter what the expiration date. The container will expire long before the salt.

Bookmark   April 17, 2007 at 12:57PM
readinglady(z8 OR)

I can't imagine salt going out of date. I guess the only thing that might happen is clumping if moisture gets to it, but it would still be usable, just less convenient.

I would never worry about an expiry on salt.

Carol

Bookmark   April 17, 2007 at 12:57PM
gardengalrn(5KS)

Thanks for the advice, I must say that Shirley hit the nail right on the head. I was pouring the older salt into the newer and when I got to the bottom realized that the metal bottom had rusted or decomposed and all the debris got into my salt, grrr. I ended up tossing it, not a big ticket item but I do appreciate the comments. Lori

Bookmark   April 17, 2007 at 3:19PM
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

All it can do is absorb moisture and clump up. It lasts longer than time. Pickling types, should be kept covered, so they don't get any moisture in them, because they have no anti-caking additives. On the other hand, Pickle Crisp (calcium chloride) will soak up water to actually form a liquid, that doesn't evaporate very well.

Bookmark   April 17, 2007 at 5:42PM
shirleywny5(5)

Morton canning salt comes in a Box or 5 lb. bag. Ball canning salt comes in a 2.5lb heavy plastic wide mouthed container. You may also store it in a canning jar.

Bookmark   April 17, 2007 at 6:40PM
More Discussions
First time pressure canning
I am embarrassed to admit I have never pressure canned....
luvncannin
Probably a Cooking Forum question
I never go to that forum and I know several here who...
gardengalrn
Starting my own recipe
I love to cook, so how do I preserve my own recipes...
newatcanning
Have you made sweet & sour Indian lemon pickles?
I have made north African preserved lemons several...
veeta
Jerusalem artichokes
Hi, I harvested my Jerusalem artichokes and brushed...
jokuehn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™