No sign of life?

jannabeen(z5 US/z6 Canada)May 6, 2007

I planted a Hibiscus moscheutos Pinot Noir last summer. It is supposed to be hard to zone 5, and it's in a warm and sunny area of my garden. However, there are no signs of life and the branches are like tinder. Should I prune it to the ground or is it dead?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdsnblooms

Jan, give it time..It's still too soon..My hardy hibs start popping out about June. Flowers open in July..Toni

Bookmark   May 6, 2007 at 7:20PM
dkotchey(z5)

My hardy hibiscus' don't show a sign of life until June. Every year I worry about them and every year they come back. One is 5 years old the other is on it's 3rd year. Don't worry, it will come. :)

Bookmark   May 9, 2007 at 7:10AM
lovemoreira

I would scratch the "bark" "trunk" on the bottom with your nail. Is it green? If so it is alive.

Bookmark   May 16, 2007 at 12:10PM
shpnquen(z5, IN)

I live in Northern Indiana & I am just now barely beginning to see signs of life in my hardy Hibiscus. You have to look right at the very base of the old growth stem, right where it meets the dirt. You might see some tiny signs if life sprouting, if not right now, by the beginning of June at the latest. These babies are slow to start - be patient.

Bookmark   May 16, 2007 at 6:57PM
tsmith2579(7B)

If you want to give them a boost, here is a trick. Clear all mulch from around the plant after last frost has passed so the sun can reach the soil. Cut a piece of black plastic 18 x 18 inches. Cut a 6 inch circle in the middle. Put the plastic around the old stems and weigh down the corners with rocks or bricks. Water with a 20-20-20 fertilizer such as MiracleGro at 1/2 strength. The black plastic will heat up the soil and the fertilizer gives the plant a boost. After it gets a few inches tall, remove the plastic. Works every time.

Bookmark   May 16, 2007 at 11:36PM
More Discussions
Beautiful indoor hibiscus bloom
Nothing is better to help you survive the dreary winter...
arctictropical
Help with Hibiscus
I would love to find some real y drop dead gorgeous...
Chickey Wingz
Please help!
I purchased a lovely pale yellow hibiscus 2 years ago...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
new seedling
one of my seedlings bloomed. nice flower shape - have...
merkity
WANTED: Habiscus
looking for all colors
suzen221
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™