Hibiscus bud stems being cut (?)

Marty_K(SW Florida)May 4, 2005

We have a large hibiscus plant, rather common in this area, that has had many blooms, and now has many buds; but recently a lot of the buds have been dropping off. There is no sign of insects; the buds are unopened and look very healthy. The puzzling part is that it looks like the stems about an inch below the bud have been cut off cleanly with a knife.

Would anyone know what might be causing this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Marty_K(SW Florida)

I have cut open several of the buds and see no signs of insects. I could post a picture of these if someone can explain the way to upload it to the forum or gallery.

Thanks

Bookmark   May 4, 2005 at 3:46PM
Marty_K(SW Florida)

Here's the current link

Here is a link that might be useful: pbase

Bookmark   May 4, 2005 at 4:21PM
rjj1(Norman OK Zone7)

Hibiscus will abort blooms because of different types of stress. Temperature swings seem to do it more than anything else here.

Hows your weather been?

randy

Bookmark   May 4, 2005 at 5:08PM
Marty_K(SW Florida)

Relatively slow change over the last couple of weeks from the 70s to the high 80s. Typical weather change here this time of year. Other hibiscus plantings in the immediate area don't seem to be affected the same way.

What puzzles me most is how and where the stem breaks. Did you see the picture? (Link: "pbase" in my last follow-up.)
Is that typical?

Bookmark   May 5, 2005 at 8:29AM
rjj1(Norman OK Zone7)

Yes, that tends to be where they drop the bloom.

Is there something different about the location of this plant compared to the others? Does the ground hold less or more water than the others? Does it look as healthy? Color similar? Leaf texture firm and glossy?

randy

Bookmark   May 5, 2005 at 9:55AM
minibim(FL z10)

Even though you don't see any bugs with naked eye, mature bud drop is usually a sign of thrips.

Also if this particular plant is a double bloom, "doubles" have a tendency to drop blooms every now and then for no apparent reason.

Bookmark   May 5, 2005 at 2:28PM
persinger

My hisbiscus is doing the same thing. Did you find a cure?

Bookmark   July 7, 2005 at 9:07AM
tina1217(9 FL)

I had the same problem here in the Tampa, Florida area. The bud drop could be caused by gall midge. Place some buds in a sealable plastic bag. After a day or two, you may see the very small yellowish worm-like larva on the plastic. Control the midge affecting buds with Orthene sprays as needed. Hope this helps. See link below for further info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Better Lawns

Bookmark   August 22, 2005 at 10:41AM
rdreams

I am in central Florida a great place for hibiscus. Though a great location for these plants I am having problems with them. A few of my hibiscus plants have accordian type leaves and distorted flowers. What is causing this? How can I prevent it. thank you in advance,

Bookmark   October 11, 2007 at 5:49PM
Mmosley1958_gmail_com

After they bloom when dead flower falls off do you leave the stem WILL it rebloom or do you cut the stem of the already bloomed flower off.Please help?

Bookmark   March 23, 2011 at 12:37AM
More Discussions
Is it ok to plant a hibiscus in a pot with no drainage holes?
Hi, I'd like to use this huge pot for one of my hibiscuses....
figsinhawaii
help with hibiscus
My hibiscus blooms all winter inside. When I take...
marthavm
Probable Identity, Please
Here is a photo of a double salmon orange hybrid in...
palmfan
Raising soil level up trunk
Hi there, I have an established 3m high woody hibiscus...
laurie_tennant
Beautiful indoor hibiscus bloom
Nothing is better to help you survive the dreary winter...
arctictropical
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™