Creating a garden in central Fl that says Hawaii

pamorevalSeptember 1, 2009

I'm a former Hawaii resident, but I didn't do any gardening back then. I have a large partial shade area and a full sun area in my back yard and want it to feel like Hawaii if possible. Have white butterfly ginger, arelia, ti and croton in the shade area so far. In the sunny area I have started with two lovely little plumeria trees, but that's all so far. I know I have to get red hibiscus! But what else? I remember that yards in Hawaii tend to look Asian without lots of flowers, mainly green foliage. So I don't want to get too colorful. Help? Mahalo to all.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randg(11)

Most of my neighbors have dessert rose (Adenium obesum) and Crown-of-Thorn (Euphorbia milii). Bouganvilla are also planted in the front yards. Although these plants do tend to be showy and colorful when in bloom.

Why not plant a patch of pineapples somewhere in your yard?

Bookmark   September 1, 2009 at 1:27PM
mauirose(11)

You've got some good basics-ti, plumeria, croton. Some other good choices would be areca palms, coco palm, laua'e fern, red ginger, crinum lily (Queen Emma lily), taro, bromeliads and mondo grass.

Bookmark   September 4, 2009 at 1:21AM
hawaii50(z10 HI)

Stephanotis if you have a fence, dendrobium orchids, heliconia, monstera, pua keni keni (perfume flower tree, Fagraea berteriana), passion fruit, portulaca, alamander, daylily (edible flower). Also, a mango tree, lychee tree, and avocado tree if you have the space.

Bookmark   September 9, 2009 at 10:29PM
More Discussions
Anybody still here?
Is Gardenweb dead, or are there still people here?
Axel
Hibiscus group on Big Island?
Anybody know of a Hibiscus group or society or club...
steiconi
Tree Collards
I understand there is a tree collard that never goes...
ediblelandscape
Help ID small tree/bush
It's about 6'tall, 6' wide.
borgf15
young mango not growing
I live in east Honolulu and planted a Florigon mango in...
Kathleen Kihmm Connolly
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™