Ant and white bug problem

hawaiijaySeptember 6, 2006

Hello,

I am new to gardening but really enjoying it. Currently I have squash and tomato plants outside, and a hot pepper inside. Recently I have noticed a lot of small black ants on all of the squash plants. They seem to excavate around the main stem, and congregate around the base of the leaves. They look like they are sucking on small bumps on the stems. I tried to get rid of them with sprinkled pepper, and mild soapy water. Neither worked. I am looking for a solution that won't poison the squash or make them bad to eat.

The hot pepper plant has very small white insects all over the bottom of its leaves. I think they are aphids, but I really don't know. They are chewing holes in the leaves and I would like to get rid of them without pesticides.

Can anyone give me advice on how to get rid of these insects without pescticides? I usually like bugs, but not when they're eating my vegetable plants. Thank you so much for any help!

Jay

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Ants "farm" sucking pests like aphids. The plant sap they suck has way more sugar than they need, so they poop it out. These sugary excretions are what the ants are farming. In cold climates they even take aphids underground and keep them alive in their tunnels over the winter, bring them back out and put them on plants in the spring.

Bookmark   October 17, 2006 at 11:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grovespirit(Zone 9)

You can use insecticidal soap spray to get rid of those bugs. It is toxic to bugs but not to people. Do a Google search on "insecticidal soap spray" and recipe and that should help.

Bookmark   October 22, 2006 at 4:34AM
More Discussions
Identification of Plant
Can anyone tell me what this plant is? I have googled...
possiexx
Anybody still here?
Is Gardenweb dead, or are there still people here?
Axel
Vireyas in Hilo
The local chapter of the Rhododendron Society is doing...
steiconi
Starting Lilikoi from seed?
Aloha, Have tried and tried, and can't seem to figure...
garden_isle_dave
Hawaii forum People?
Where are all my brothers and sister from Hawaii on...
Ringsixty
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™