Hibiscus with whitefly

northerner_on(Z5A ONCanada)May 16, 2007

A few months ago I posted a problem here which was diagnosed as white fly and I was given instructions for taking care of it. Since I live in Ontario I was not able to get the exact insecticide, but I did get an oil-based one which I have used repeatedly with no results. This infection has since travelled to my tomato seedlings, several of which I had to discard and I am now at the point of tossing the hibiscus (a beautiful double red). Before I do this and since summer is near my question is, will the white fly be taken care of when I move the plant outside? If yes, then I will wait awhile and put it out. Question 2: is the white fly something that came in with the plant last fall? I did repot with potting soil before bringing it in. I would rather lose this one, than have it infect my other house plants. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
butterfly4u

Northerner,
Don't throw your baby out!
Check out link below.
You can get rid of the whitefly.
If the temps are getting warmer where you are, try gradually exposing your plant to the outside soon.
You may have to apply several times and check to see that your other plants don't have it to reinfect your hibiscus.
Good Luck

Here is a link that might be useful: Tips on Hibiscus Care

Bookmark   May 17, 2007 at 12:21AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
northerner_on(Z5A ONCanada)

Thanks for the info. Butterfly4u. I guess I was having a really bad day and it would have been a pity if I had tossed it - it's such a beauty when in full bloom. I will persevere and try the Murphy's Oil Soap as well. We've had a cold spell here for the last few days, but usually by this weekend everyone's planting out. Thanks again.

Bookmark   May 18, 2007 at 9:24AM
More Discussions
Slow growing Hibiscus seedling
Hello, This past April, I planted about 6 hibiscus...
hueylewisfan12
Help with Hibiscus
Hi! I recently bought a bunch of hibiscus on clearance...
sgreer13
Hibiscus leaves are curling
Help is needed. Although my plant looks healthy with...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
new website format not fun
I really don't like the new format...
merkity
Is it ok to plant a hibiscus in a pot with no drainage holes?
Hi, I'd like to use this huge pot for one of my hibiscuses....
figsinhawaii
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™