Podocarpus in a VERY tight space between building and wall

tcjohnsson(Hawaii)September 27, 2008

I just posted this in the California Gardening forum.

I am looking at planting a row of podocarpus "maki" along a long wall. I am located near the state capitol, downtown - a relatively dry area. The space I am planting in is VERY tight. Between the building and the wall is only 4' 6". And of that space I need to maintain at least 2.5 feet (30") clear for walkspace. I was told I can plant the maki right next to the wall (about 12"-18" away) and trim/prune the bottom branches high enough so that people can walk underneath without the leaves/branches clipping their heads. The ones I am looking at are about 8-9 feet tall (25 gallon) and run $200/each. I need about 30 of them to cover a long wall section along a duplex.

I also looked at other Podocarpus including macrophylla (the "non-maki" version?) and gracilior. I was told that the macrophylla would be a better bet because they will grow taller than maki and I ultimately want them to get to about 25 feet in height.

Can someone recommend the best option? Thanks in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pueokai

Don't know which is best, but googled podocarpus ( I didn't know what it was ) and found lots of pictures showing mature ones growing against walls and pillars, etc. Your idea sounds neat, like a "tunnel of trees", but if the building is wood make sure you keep the tops trimmed too, don't want them touching a wood building as you will get dryrot and maybe termites. Good luck !

Aloha

Bookmark   October 25, 2008 at 6:25PM
More Discussions
Growers Wanted: Native Hawaiian Plants
Hi, I just wanted to know if there are any fellow "Native...
Cyanea
Anybody still here?
Is Gardenweb dead, or are there still people here?
Axel
Wetland taro in a bucket
Does anyone have experience growing wetland taro in...
Anakaleki
Is my favourite hawaiian seller gone for good?
Hey guys, I'm just dropping in from the fragrant forum...
fenius
Vireyas in Hilo
The local chapter of the Rhododendron Society is doing...
steiconi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™