Perfect website. I'm trying to learn about HI gardening!

gr8lifeOctober 23, 2009

My husband and I will be retiring by 2011 and moving to Oahu where my brother already lives. We are in VA and currently raise a lot of our own food, veggies, fruit, nuts, etc. We plan to do the same when we move to HI so I have been trying to do lots of research. I have gone to the extension service but I don't want to bother them with a lot of basic questions so this forum is perfect. I will be going through the previously posted messages first so I can get most of my answers without posting but it is wonderful to be able to go here if I have other questions. I am so excited about learning to garden in Hawaii.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ton2menehune

growing a garden in HI. can fun but you have to deal with many types of insects and deal with they all year long.
Sorry that's the facts. Hawaii's soils remember one word amend,amend,amend and AMEND!! Other than these basic facts have fun.

Bookmark   October 24, 2009 at 11:32AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hawaii50(z10 HI)

Growing fruits and vegetables in Hawaii's subtropical climate is much different from growing fruits and vegetables in Virginia's temperate climate. First of all, you can't grow the same things. Someone who began growing vegetables in California, then moved to Hawaii later in life wrote a book. It's called "Growing Vegetables In Hawaii" by Kathy Oshiro

Bookmark   October 30, 2009 at 6:17PM
More Discussions
Camellia sinensis
Hi, I just bought this plant at the urban garden center....
borgf15
Is my favourite hawaiian seller gone for good?
Hey guys, I'm just dropping in from the fragrant forum...
fenius
Tree Collards
I understand there is a tree collard that never goes...
ediblelandscape
Hibiscus group on Big Island?
Anybody know of a Hibiscus group or society or club...
steiconi
Lava rock
I am curious if the lava rock sold for grill use can...
susanZ9B
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™