Chamomile Advice

californiangardenerApril 23, 2009

I am brand new to gardening and I decided to start by planting chamomile. The seeds readily germinate, but they don't seem to do very well after that. Out of the 20 or seeds I planted only 1 seemed to survive enough to start sprouting some true leaves (I lost a lot to spontaneous dampening off...) Is this normal? I try to keep the soil moist and I've been adding a liquid balanced fertilizer to them. However, I am growing them on an outdoor shaded balcony - could that be a problem? Not enough sun? Any tips to make my little plants grow strong would be great. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dral

Mine grow in regular soil. I don't think they like a fertilized soil and do better in a poorer soil and definately need sun. You would'nt belive some of the mistakes i made when first starting out. Thats part of the fun. Learning "what next?" LOL ; )
Good luck and have fun!

Bookmark   April 23, 2009 at 6:11PM
jonnys(9 Orlando Fl)

Sounds like your watering too much if you lost most of them to damping off. I also wouldnt suggest giving them any fertilizer until they are well established, as this could also be a reason they aren't growing. I would sow them in regular old soil, allowing it to become partially dry in between waterings, rather than always keeping it moist.

Bookmark   April 23, 2009 at 7:26PM
leira(6 MA)

Damping off is a fungal disease. Are you starting your seedlings in a sterile seed starting mix?

Bookmark   April 23, 2009 at 7:51PM
californiangardener

Thanks everyone! You know what - I think you guys are right. I think I am probably watering the poor little things too much. I will let the soil go dry in between waterings. Again thanks for the helpful advice! :-)

Bookmark   April 25, 2009 at 1:55AM
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

When I start seeds I water only when the plants look a little droopy. The solless mix also turns a dark tan color when its fairly dry, which is also a good indicator. I do use a seedling fertilizer after the first true leaves. PHC is the brand and I buy it from Gardeners Supply in VT. They make several types, and I use the one for seedlings.

Bookmark   April 25, 2009 at 1:41PM
More Discussions
I need help in mulching
What kind of mulch should I use in my herb garden?? my...
Keith Peñaflorida
Cilantro indoors
How do I grow cilantro indoors? I'm in Colorado for...
timetraveler
How many seeds do I plant in a seed starter kit cell?
I'm sure this is one of those questions that almost...
drayven
Reputable seed company
For those who buy their seeds, who do you consider...
martini100_gw
Mold on Dirt
Couple of questions. I am using the Burpee Greenhouses...
jaltman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™