Dwarf Coconuts in Hawaii

andyandy(6bMI)October 6, 2006

I know there is a seperate palms forum but not too many people from Hawaii post on it. I was wondering if there are dwarf variety coconuts in Hawaii. I ordred a couple of sprouting coconuts back in the spring. having come from Hawaii I assumed they were both "pacific tall" varieties. In Florida they have red, green, and golden dwarfs. I am not aware of these being in Hawaii. Could anyone tell me if there are indded dwarfs there. I sure think I got a golden dwarf. I would appreciate any input.

thanx,

Andy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hotzcatz(Hamakua, Hawaii)

Aloha Andy,

There is the Samoan Coconut which is shorter than the usual tall coconut trees. It has larger coconuts which are easier to reach from the ground but I don't know if it would exactly be a "dwarf" anything. It still grows into a fairly large sized tree. The nuts from the Samoan coconut are about half again as large as the regular coconuts. They seem more round, somehow, too.

A hui hou,
Cathy

Bookmark   October 6, 2006 at 9:41PM
andyandy(6bMI)

Cathy-
Thank you for the information. When I say "dwarf" I mean a palm that tops out at 30-40 feet rather than the 80 feet a tall can get to.

thanx again,
Andy

Bookmark   October 9, 2006 at 8:30AM
johndp8888(Oahu, Hawaii)

There is an excellent article in the book "Traditional Trees of Pacific Islands" that covers dwarf coconuts in detail by varietal. There is also a web site that covers the same data at http://www.agroforestry.net/tti/index.html. Look under Cocos nucifera in the list.

Bookmark   February 25, 2007 at 5:08PM
More Discussions
What is Exotic to Hawaii?
Are there any plants that would be considered exotic...
partybra
Pepper seeds
I was thinking of ordering some peppers. I live on...
Backfreeze
Starting Lilikoi from seed?
Aloha, Have tried and tried, and can't seem to figure...
garden_isle_dave
Identification of Plant
Can anyone tell me what this plant is? I have googled...
possiexx
Wetland taro in a bucket
Does anyone have experience growing wetland taro in...
Anakaleki
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™