Lavender

CaraRoseApril 25, 2013

I bought some lavender seeds (hidcote if I recall). I've followed the directions on the seed packet for indoor sowing and tried several different times. Not a single sprout. I've waited over a month on some before giving up.

Does lavender need to be stratified? The package had no indication that this was necessary.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

I forget the germination needs of lavender. I vaguely recall a discussion here about putting them in a baggie w/ a wet paper towel and putting them somewhere warm like the top of a refrigerator -- but I could be misremembering. Search the back posts here for more info. Or google "lavender germination" to see what Dr. Google has to say.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 10:01AM
SaraElise(8b)

They like it warm and light. And they like to be right on top of the surface of the soil. I didn't do any stratification with my lavender and it all came up great -- but my house temp stays above 70 (usually 75-80). At lower temps, it gets fussier.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 7:43PM
SaraElise(8b)

Well, I just checked a Seed Germination Database (linked below), and they had different results than I. The database does recommend cold stratification, cooler growing temps, and says germination is is 21-90 days (mine sprouted on day 7).

Might be a difference based on type of lavender. Or, maybe you just need to wait longer at lower temps -- that is how many seeds are.

Still confused about the requirement for cold stratification. The only way my seeds got that is if the nursery did it before shipping out the seeds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Germination Database

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 9:59PM
CarloMartin947

Most sowings fail for one simple reason: the seed is covered too deeply. As Alan Chadwick used to say, "Over cover, and you won't get germination. Under cover and you will still get germination (providing you don't let the seeds dry out). As a general rule, cover seeds approximately three times their diameter. The website below has a good description of general sowing techniques.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alan Chadwick

Bookmark   September 1, 2013 at 10:39PM
More Discussions
Looking for real Italian Mentuccia
Hi All; I am looking for seeds or plants of the Italian...
entwife
What is attacking my basil? Whiteflies?
I have an indoor growlight which has allowed me to...
xiaobao12
Have you heard of "Orange Mint?"
I just saw this variety of mint as a small plant being...
peterk312
How should I dry my parsley leaves?
I have three large bunches of Parsley. How should I...
zzackey
Sage Recommendations?
hey everyone Just wondering if you can recommend the...
2bcleansed
Sponsored Products
Hand Soap Gift Box - YELLOW (OTHER)
$65.00 | Horchow
Lavender Sprig Cup & Saucer
$12.99 | zulily
Secret Lavender Wallpaper R1314, double roll
Walls Republic
Vintage Flowers Shower Curtain
$67.99 | Dot & Bo
Nourison Hand-tufted Julian Floral Purple Rug (3'6 x 5'6)
Overstock.com
Charleston Chirp Quilted 20 in. Square Pillow Multicolor - 11396020X020PPY
$29.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™