Hardy Hibiscus Tree where can I buy

boxeracres(z5IN)May 13, 2005

I am trying to find a place online to buy a hardy hibiscus tree, I bought one last year but come to find out it was a tropical one and is DEAD(very sad) it was so beautiful too.Any help would be great!! Thanks Amber

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jenny_in_se_pa(USDA7 Sunset 32)

The hardy hibiscus (usually H. moschetos) don't grow as "trees". They are more herbacious in that they don't really form a permanent woody "trunk" that resprouts in spring.

The type of hibiscus that forms a tree that is hardy in colder areas is the commonly known "Rose of Sharon" (H. syriacus). So you can look for that if you want something that can keep a "trunk" that will resprout in late spring/early summer and give hibiscus blooms.

Bookmark   May 15, 2005 at 8:53AM
birdinthepalm

I think there's lots of confusion about that "hardy hibiscus" moniker that going around in the plant trade nowdays. It seems that rose of sharons , which are related to tropical hibiscus and in the same "mallow" family were called Athea for many years, but recently are called Hibiscus , so there's much more confusing the "hardy" Rose of Sharons, with the tropical hibiscuses. with some growers confusing the names even more by calling the rose of sharons , hardy hibiscus now. I guess , unless you can pin the growers down to say, what they're actually selling, that problem will remain. Sometimes the whole question of hardiness is even more confused , when sub-tropical growers talk about "hardy" plants, when they by no means mean "cold hardy". Some plants will tollerate windy conditions , hot locations , and some drought and for the sub-tropics , those are hardy traits that don't fall into the same category as "cold hardiness".

Bookmark   May 19, 2005 at 5:51PM
zebrina

Hi,

I have seen the hardy hibiscus "trained as trees" at Jackson and Perkins

Bookmark   June 12, 2005 at 8:00PM
ionltd(5)

Just bought 24" braided trees for around $8 each at Home Depot central Illinois....hope they don't die this winter!

Bookmark   July 31, 2005 at 12:07AM
brian_k(z6 OH)

I have a hardy hibiscus tree about 8 feet tall with dinner plate sized flowers. Last year's growth is quite lignified and I wonder if it would have sprouted from the same place had I not used a hacksaw to cut down the growth last december.

Bookmark   July 31, 2005 at 11:53PM
More Discussions
Hibiscus group on Big Island?
Is there a Hibiscus group/society/club on the East...
steiconi
Abelmoschus Manihot problem
I have a question about my Abelmoschus Manihot. I've...
marricgardens
Name that Hibiscus?
This is my favorite, but I don't have a tag; I got...
steiconi
Help with Hibiscus
Hi! I recently bought a bunch of hibiscus on clearance...
sgreer13
How beautful are these!!!
These are winter hardy hibiscus that i just ordered. They...
tlbean2004
Sponsored Products
Hardy Island Ribbed 16001 Exterior Path Light
Lightology
Hinkley Hardy Island Large Standard Outdoor Path Light
Lamps Plus
Hardy Island MR16 Exterior Accent Light
Lightology
FontanaArte | Wig Pendant Lamp
YLiving.com
Real Carriage Weathered Z-Brace Barn Door - BDK-THG-3681-Z
$710.00 | Hayneedle