New Hibiscus

rommy(z8 NC)May 27, 2008

Hi Everyone! My daughter gave me a beautiful hibiscus for mothers day. My only concern is whether it is a tropical or a perennial? Any advice would be helpful. I have tried reading about both and can't quite differentiate. The tag on the plant said full sun, hardy to 20 degrees farenheit, fast grower and to keep moist. Don't want to take a chance on putting it in the ground and losing it...would rather keep it in a large pot on the deck if need be. Any advice would be much appreciated. The flowers are a blended pink with a deeper pink center.

Thanks! Rommy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wally_1936(8b)

Sounds like it is tropical, they are perennial also if they don't get frozen. Hardy have a more plain leaf than the tropical hibiscus does. Tropical also have many that are double flowers and mostly a smaller flower. Tropical leaves are more glossy than most hardy hibiscus, and hardy can take a lot more than a 20 degree farenheit. Tropical are fast growers over 8' tall if allowed. It can be pruned back up to 3 or 4 times in a summer to maintain the growth and for better blooming throughout the summer.

Bookmark   May 31, 2008 at 10:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rommy(z8 NC)

Wally, Thanks for the input. I will put this baby in a pot for sure. One other question! If I leave it on the deck;which gets full sun all day, will it be too much sun? Thanks again for the answer.
Rommy

Bookmark   June 1, 2008 at 2:48PM
More Discussions
Help with Hibiscus
Hi! I recently bought a bunch of hibiscus on clearance...
sgreer13
Beautiful indoor hibiscus bloom
Nothing is better to help you survive the dreary winter...
arctictropical
Raising soil level up trunk
Hi there, I have an established 3m high woody hibiscus...
laurie_tennant
Slow growing Hibiscus seedling
Hello, This past April, I planted about 6 hibiscus...
hueylewisfan12
id for orange hibiscus
I am looking for the botanical name for this pretty...
linda_leaf z10fla
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™