can I grow huge Ti plant in container

chinchette(9b)June 2, 2012

I just got two 7 gallon hugh ti plants to put under my oak tree. Can they do okay in large containers? The person at the nursery didn't think so. It would be better for me because a) I don't loose a foot of height when planting, and b) its hard to get a hole of that size near an oak.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zackey(GA 8b)

I don't see why you couldn't. I don't always believe the sales people. When we first moved to Florida in 1989 I asked the sales lady if I could plant night blooming jasmine next to the house. She said yes. I told her I only wanted a plant that was a few feet tall and she said that was a good plant for me. Bull-oney! It got so tall, it reached the eaves in no time. We finally had to dig them up and move them because we were pruning them so much.

Bookmark   June 2, 2012 at 8:45PM
katkin_gw

I think it would work too, but be sure to water it enough.

When I first move here I was looking for short plants for around my screen enclosure and the nursery sold me dwarf hibiscus. Of course later I found out there is no such thing, they add a chemical the keep them small for six months to a year. One now is a tree over 10ft tall!!! Most times I think you have to grow it yourself to learn first hand what it will do. Because what works for you might not work for me. :o)

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 6:26AM
chinchette(9b)

I was also thinking that maybe the nursery brings them in from Southern Florida looking good, then in 9b, they shed a lot of leaves in the winter. I hope they do okay for me.

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 8:23AM
katkin_gw

I think most all ti's get leggy and shead their lower leaves, then it is time to cut them shorter and root the cutting to make new plants. New shoots will form from below where they were cut and make the plant fuller.

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 6:15AM
More Discussions
Thinking of planting azaleas
So I went for it and ripped out the ugly bushes in...
Debo214
New houzz look
Can't get used to this yet. Or like it. That soft...
irma_stpete_9b
TR Hovey dwarf papaya plants
This year I branched out and grew two varieties of...
happy_fl_gardener
Biochar
last winter, I read a post that I'm too lazy to search...
TheTradition
What to see in North Central FL this weekend?
I will be just north of Orlando. Any special events...
irma_stpete_9b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™