Heliconia Rostrata

shuffles_gwJune 6, 2012

At Lorie's swap I brought a bunch of Heliconia Rostrata. After about six years and one flower I was ready to give up on it. I had dug up one large clump and had planned to hit the larger one with Roundup. They must have got the message. Since then we have got at least 50 nice flower stalks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
echobelly

I just bought one at Home Depot a few weeks ago! Such an unusual flower. I've got it in a big pot, my other heliconias seem to do so much better in pots than in the ground. Does yours die back after a frost?

Bookmark   June 7, 2012 at 2:15PM
shuffles_gw

echobelly,

I had two patches, one out in the open and one under a very large crepe myrtle. After this winter's freezes, those in the open got burned down to the ground. Even though the crepe myrtle leaves were gone, those under it were largely unfazed. Those are the ones blooming now. I haven't done anything differently this year and have no idea why they finally decided to bloom. Yes, the flowers are unusual - and beautiful.

Bookmark   June 7, 2012 at 4:07PM
gregsytch(z9b Tampa Bay)

H. rostrata blooms on previous years growth (usually). If the stalk survived the winter, even if young, it will probably bloom. In Central Fl that is the issue with our cold snaps. Prior to 2008, mine bloomed reliably near a Tabebuia where it was protected, but the winters since then have been too cold. They grow beautifully. I am hopeful this year's crop will bloom as the stalks are well over 6' tall. They LOVE fertilizer! I mean love it! High nitrogen and lots of it.

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 10:02PM
exoticatropicals

Heliconia also seem to bloom better with sun. Perhaps yours bloomed this year due to the crepe myrtle's leaf loss letting in more light.

I've seen heliconia clumps getting beaten by intense sun bloom, while a nearby clump in part sun look great- deep green, etc but havent bloomed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Exotica Tropicals- Heliconia, etc in Florida

Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 9:57PM
More Discussions
Growing milkweed (A. tuberosa) from seed in Central Fl.
Hi! I'm new here, and I'd like to see if anyone has...
martianpictures
What is your best/favorite ground cover?
I need ground cover ideas. I love to fill in places...
aroidgardener
New Floridian gardener
Im a snowbird who is loving gardening all year long...
juttz
Need help with growing healthy cannas
I have several cannas, both large and dwarf, but do...
gardenbear49
Any Plant Sales?
I live in the Holiday Florida area and I went to a...
juttz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™