Sugar snap pea soup

MrClintApril 13, 2013

It's been a great season for sugar snap peas from the garden. I took a bunch to a gathering a couple of months ago, and they were a huge hit raw as crudités. But sadly the season has come to an end.

I brought in the last huge basket full today. There were a lot of pods well past prime, and I can only save so many for seed. Guess what I discovered? The fully mature fresh pods make for truly excellent soup! Who knew?

I simmered some Maui onions, carrots, garlic, kale & sugar snaps (with water to cover) for about an hour. Then I ran an immersion blender in the pot. Finish with salt, pepper and cayenne for a nice, hearty soup. The sweetness really comes through.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dgkritch(Z8 OR)

Sounds delicious! I'll have to remember that when a few of my snow peas get a little larger than we like for fresh eating. It'll be awhile, plants are just about 4-5 inches tall.....

Deanna

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 10:34AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MrClint

This was my first year growing sugar snaps -- been growing shelling peas for a while now and decided to give them a try. I'm completely sold! Shelling peas are great but these sugar snaps produced more pods and were a bit easier than doing all that shelling. I say a bit easier because the sugar snaps have a string on the inside curve that needs to be removed.

Down here we plant peas in the late fall for winter/spring harvest.

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 7:25PM
More Discussions
Freezing stuffed peppers?
I have sooo many beautiful sweet peppers and quite...
aka_peggy
Is GMO corn cobs safe for corn cob jelly?
This is the time around here that the farmers are picking...
myfamilysfarm
Starting my own recipe
I love to cook, so how do I preserve my own recipes...
newatcanning
First time pressure canning
I am embarrassed to admit I have never pressure canned....
luvncannin
Cranberry Hal. pepper jelly aka turkey's revenge
Is there any reason why I can't use dries crandberries...
ahbee01
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™