Pua Keni Keni

leafylea(Australia. Quee)October 1, 2004

Rare in our area, cant find out much about the needs of

growing this plant.Mine is only about 12' high in a pot

and doing well.Should I pot it up for awile or try it inthe ground.Any cultural notes welcomed. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
KonaPhil(Hawaii)

Pua-keni-keni (Fagraea berteriana) is a subtropical or tropical plant. Hardy to 40 degrees. It likes sun, moisture and good rich organic soil, according to my organic growing guide. Will grow to a 20 foot tree or can be kept as a shrub.

Very fragrant, you will enjoy this shrup when it blooms.

Good luck
Phil

Bookmark   October 5, 2004 at 12:43AM
leafylea(Australia. Quee)

Thanks for the useful advice.No one here has ever heard of it,so its very helpful.Cheers

Bookmark   October 12, 2004 at 8:46PM
GingerM(11-Hawaii)

From my experience, this is a pretty hardy little plant. We have one that was uprooted when we put in our rock wall. The guys just bull-dozered it out of the ground and stuck it in another hole that they had dug. It had a pretty good chunk taken out of the trunk by the dozer's teeth. We tied an old shirt around it, and several months later took it off. Also, every time our coconut tree gets trimmed, debris falls on our poor puakenikeni and it suffers a fewbroken branches. Also, it gets a pretty good covering of sooty mold from time to time, but it just keeps trucking along and seems to be thriving despite all the hardships. Best of luck with yours!

Bookmark   February 9, 2005 at 7:28AM
More Discussions
Vireyas in Hilo
The local chapter of the Rhododendron Society is doing...
steiconi
Identification of Plant
Can anyone tell me what this plant is? I have googled...
possiexx
Lava rock
I am curious if the lava rock sold for grill use can...
susanZ9B
Vanda Orchid
Last week I was at the Bazaar at Waipahu United Church...
randg
Help ID small tree/bush
It's about 6'tall, 6' wide.
borgf15
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™