Plumeria seed?

rredbbeard(SE CT USA/zone 6)October 22, 2007

Does anyone have plumeria seed that they would be willing to share with a mainlander? I don't see much listed on the trade page here on GW. I suspect that Hawaii won't let me send you anything from my own trade list, but I would be happy to send a SASE if you have some seed available.

Thanks!

--Rick

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patrickhenry

Are you aware that the plants don't necessarily breed true from seed? That the beautiful cultivar may be lost?

Also, I don't think that plumerias often produce seeds...just an observation. It's sorta rare.

Bookmark   October 30, 2007 at 3:43AM
hotzcatz(Hamakua, Hawaii)

Plumeria do make seeds but most people propagate them by cuttings since cuttings are so much easier to get than seeds.

To send cuttings and seeds to Hawaii, they have to be inspected by your State Agriculture first. Our inspectors here don't charge anything for the inspections, but we have to take the plant, seeds or cuttings as well as the box they will be sent in down to the inspection station. The items get inspected then packaged and then the inspectors put red stamps all over the box and then it is ready to mail away.

We can send seeds and cuttings to all states and we can send plants without dirt to all states except Arizona, Louisana, Texas and California. (I'm pretty certain those are the four "no root" states.) I'm not quite sure exactly what the incoming plants, seeds and cuttings requirements are. Usually "no dirt" unless it is from a certified nursery, I think. Your state ag folks would know.

Bookmark   October 31, 2007 at 12:09AM
ladyjane_in_hawaii

Can Plumeria grow well in wet conditions? Here on the Hilo side of the big isle, much of the plumeria in my neighborhood has a green fungus on the trunk. On Kona side, it seems like plumeria thrives better.

Bookmark   November 30, 2007 at 4:46PM
More Discussions
Vireyas in Hilo
The local chapter of the Rhododendron Society is doing...
steiconi
Streptocarpus in Hawaii
I've grown Streps in cooler climates before, but now...
maui_jen
Help ID small tree/bush
It's about 6'tall, 6' wide.
borgf15
Vanda Orchid
Last week I was at the Bazaar at Waipahu United Church...
randg
Neem trees
Anyone know of a nursery in The Islands that sells...
MJMaui
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™