Whats your liquid preference for canned tomatoes

muddynurse(5b)April 19, 2013

Hello everyone!! Happy spring!!

Im wondering what liquid is everyones preference to use when canning tomatoes. I have read alot about canning and still am up in the air. Im planning on canning probably whole or halved tomatoes, to later use in stews and sauce and such and sauce (which I'm still looking for "the recipe"). I just want people opinions, as some recipes call for water, some juice. What do you think tastes best? worse? I want you experience!!

Thank you everyone!!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Will you be pressure canning or BWB canning? I refuse to use the 85 mins. for BWB canning that some of the liquid ones require.

My personal preference is Crushed Tomatoes with no added liquid. But if you want to add liquid then I guess I'd go with adding tomato juice as best.

Dave

Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 5:08PM
muddynurse(5b)

Dave-

I will definitely be PC. I refuse to baby sit a pot for upwards for a hour and half of my life. I was just flipping threw by Ball Home Preserving book taking a peek at the crushed tomatoes.

Thank you for you input!

Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 5:14PM
joy_unspeakable(7NC)

I second the crushed tomatoes with no added liquid. I tried canning tomatoes whole once with unfavorable results. Happy canning!

Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 10:17PM
dgkritch(Z8 OR)

I also prefer crushed with no added liquid. Mine are more "diced", but same processing.
I don't want anything to dilute that garden fresh flavor, that's a big part of why I'm preserving in the first place!!

Because I use them in soups or sauces, there's no need for halves/whole tomatoes for me. I'm going to cut them into bite sized pieced anyway. You can fit more tomatoes in a jar if they're cut up too, saving time and money!

Deanna

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 10:04AM
muddynurse(5b)

Thank you very much! Are you familiar with the recipe in the Ball book for crushed tomatoes? If so, how do you think it rates/stakes up?

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 8:43PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Which Ball book? Far as I know there is no recipe for Crushed Tomatoes in the BBB. The recipes in the Ball Complete Book (2 of them 1 for PC and 1 for BWB) are the standard NCHFP instructions and are what everyone uses.

Dave

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 10:08PM
kriswrite(zone 8)

I both water bath and PC tomatoes. I actually prefer water bath because, by the time you vent a PC and so forth, PC takes longer. I use either the juice that comes from the tomatoes naturally or water. I use my canned tomatoes for cooking, and I can't taste the difference between the juice and the water canned.

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 7:52PM
Trilliam

I don't add liquid. I crush the tomatoes. They make enough liquid of their own. Then I PC them. Once the canner is hot I can do canload after canload quickly.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 3:03AM
uaskigyrl(7)

I second, third, fourth, fifth, the crushed tomatoes. I do Eugenia Bone's method from "Well-Preserved" for crushed tomatoes. So much easier and quicker and they taste soooooooo goooooooood! Who knew canned tomatoes tasted so good?!

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 12:24PM
PlantsAndYarn(5)

Last summer was my first year canning. I did the crushed tomatoes from the NCHFP instructions and they were great. I plan to do it that way again this summer.

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 10:38AM
muddynurse(5b)

Thank you everyone for the responses!! I have decided to crush and can my tomatoes this year, seems like the obvious choice and not such a hassle to do large amounts at a time. Thanks again!!

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 3:21PM
More Discussions
What to grind with?
I want to grind up some garlic and some onions to make...
woco
True "Daylight Savings"
Crankshaft comic Strip for Sunday, March 08, 2015 I...
berrybusy
Canning Bacon ?
I just watched a video on another forum of someone...
scunningham
Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup
I had about 20 - 1 gallon bags filled with tomatoes...
SuzyQ2
Dehydrate Bok Choy
Does anyone have an experience dehydrating Bok Choy....
compostman
Sponsored Products
Florence Style Loft Wool Loveseat in Green
$699.00 | LexMod
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: LR Resources Rugs Satori Mushroom 9 ft. x 12
Home Depot
Fresca Oxford 60" Traditional Double Sink Bathroom Vanity - Espresso
Modern Bathroom
Reale 3-lt Island Pendant
LBC Lighting
Select Luxury Reversible Medium Firm 10-inch Twin XL-size Foam Mattress
Overstock.com