Ordering trees

HawaiiFruitGrowerNovember 24, 2012

Have any of you, order fruit trees through lowes or Home Depot? I was wanting to order an abiu, Haitian star apple, and a black sapote tree through them. So would you just pay the price of the tree or the shipping too?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steiconi(12a-Big Island, HI)

You might want to check out their suppliers first. On the Big Island, I think they buy from Plant It Hawaii, maybe a couple other locals. Check the tags on their plants.

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 10:18PM
HawaiiFruitGrower

Have any of you ship fruit trees through aloha air cargo?? I would like to bring back a few lychee trees from the big island but the cost to ship the trees would be like 200 dollars! I think this is too much!

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 12:53PM
steiconi(12a-Big Island, HI)

There is a shipping company that ships by water, Young Brothers. We shipped a truck from Oahu to BI for a couple hundred dollars, I think. Trees should be cheaper.

Bookmark   December 25, 2012 at 4:30PM
hotzcatz(Hamakua, Hawaii)

Shipping via Young Brothers is about the cheapest way inter-island. You can either ship via "mixed freight" where you put your stuff into a small 8' x 8' x 8' cube and other folks put their stuff in it too. They'd charge you for the cubic space used but I don't know how much that would be. Or for probably less than $200 you can ship a whole 8' x 8' x 8' cube. That would hold a lot more than several trees, though.

Bookmark   January 2, 2013 at 2:55AM
HawaiiFruitGrower

Thanks ya that info helps, instead I just made a bunch of air layers or marcotts on some fruit trees at my grandpas farm here on the big island, then when their ready I will cut them and bring them on with me on the plane;)

Bookmark   January 2, 2013 at 3:30AM
mauifarmlet

Ordering from Lowe's is pretty cheap. The trees from plant it are brought in by pukulani plant company. They bring in a lot of trees so the shipping costs are pretty small.

Bookmark   January 13, 2013 at 3:56AM
wavsurfer

for Oahu residents looking for interesting tropical fruit trees, check out Frankie's Nursery in Waimanalo. I'm pretty sure I've seen abiu and star apple there. Definitely black sapote. They have dozens if not hundreds of different fruit trees and varieties there. Frankie's is a magical place to me

Here is a link that might be useful: Frankie's Nursery

This post was edited by wavsurfer on Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 9:18

Bookmark   January 22, 2013 at 9:14AM
More Discussions
Powdery Mildew
When I first started gardening in Nanakuli 4 years...
ediblelandscape
Camellia sinensis
Hi, I just bought this plant at the urban garden center....
borgf15
Growers Wanted: Native Hawaiian Plants
Hi, I just wanted to know if there are any fellow "Native...
Cyanea
WANTED: newbie
Aloha, I'm a newbie. I'm starting an herb and veggie...
krwhit
Streptocarpus in Hawaii
I've grown Streps in cooler climates before, but now...
maui_jen
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™