Tree and Shrub recommendations and books

mnfreespiritNovember 7, 2008

Aloha!

My husband and I are in the process of buying a lot on the Big Island that we plan to build on in approx. 5 years. In the meantime I would like to start planting trees and shrubs when we visit so that we will have screening and some slightly mature trees by the time we build.

I prefer natives and of course anything that fruits and/or flowers. The lot sits on a cliff about 170' above the ocean so I assume salty air will be a consideration. The lot is between Hilo and Ninole so I'm hoping there would be enough natural rain to keep things going since we won't be around to water.

Any tree and shrub recommendations would be appreciated - and also any good books on trees and shrubs, Hawaii native plants, and gardening in Hawaii.

Thanks a bunch - it's a big lot so we have lots of work ahead of us!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ohiagarden

Try this. Even though it is for OAHU, it gives great info on plants

http://www.boardofwatersupply.com/cssweb/display.cfm?sid=1488

Bookmark   November 9, 2008 at 12:41AM
leilaniguy

Some of the books I've found helpful are: "A Pocket Guide to Hawaii's Trees and Shrubs", by H.D. Pratt. "Poisonous Plants of Paradise", by Susan Scott & Craig Thomas M.D. Sunset Magazine's "Western Garden Book" also has much to offer.

Bookmark   November 9, 2008 at 12:46PM
beginnersmind

For natives, "Growing Native Hawaiian Plants" by Heidi Bornhorst is an excellent reference.

Also good is "Common Hawaiian Trees: How to Plant the Right One in the Right Place" by the Friends of Hawaii's Urban Forest.

JB Friday's links on native plants will also give you some starting points.

Please remember that Hawaii has lots of problems with invasive species. Don't bulldoze indiscriminately -- find out what is existing on your property. Too many people knock all the native ohia lehua trees, then ask "What kind of native trees are suited for my area?"

Here is a link that might be useful: JB Friday's native plant links

Bookmark   November 17, 2008 at 12:08AM
More Discussions
Vireyas in Hilo
The local chapter of the Rhododendron Society is doing...
steiconi
young mango not growing
I live in east Honolulu and planted a Florigon mango in...
Kathleen Kihmm Connolly
Is my favourite hawaiian seller gone for good?
Hey guys, I'm just dropping in from the fragrant forum...
fenius
Pepper seeds
I was thinking of ordering some peppers. I live on...
Backfreeze
Hibiscus group on Big Island?
Anybody know of a Hibiscus group or society or club...
steiconi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™