Stunted Growth on Hibiscus Bride

andrea_san_diego(z10 So Cal)June 16, 2005

This gnarly little thing just won't seem to grow. I fertilize, amend and water but it's still stunted.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
minibim(FL z10)

Wow, that is pretty pathetic looking. Have no idea what's wrong BUT, if it were mine.......... I would dig it up and put it back in a pot with nice rich potting soil. Check to see if the root ball was rootbound before it went in the ground and loosen up the root ball. Then I would trim it up to only a couple of branches with leaves to encourage new growth.

Once it renewed itself, then put it in the ground in another location. Any idea how acidic your soil actually is? - they like acid.

The other thing is, have you checked it for pests? If you don't mind pesticides, I would use some Bayer Advanced Tree and Shrub on it.

Bookmark   June 16, 2005 at 1:35PM
andrea_san_diego(z10 So Cal)

Forgot to mention that I have dug it up to check the rootball, and the roots look good actually. It had a few snails and aphids but I took care of them and I have been giving it regular feedings of cottonseed meal, worm gold plus, and Bayer products. Maybe I just got a "lemon" istead of a hibiscus.

Andrea

Bookmark   June 16, 2005 at 2:14PM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Soil in Sand Diego is typically near neutral. And although they may "like acid soil," they generally do well in SoCal.

In any event, the thing looks so puny that -- if it were mine -- I'd replace it with a healthy specimen.

Bookmark   June 17, 2005 at 11:12PM
More Discussions
Is my hibiscus dead?
I bought 2 hibicuses last year, and they did wonderfully....
chloe3871
Is it ok to plant a hibiscus in a pot with no drainage holes?
Hi, I'd like to use this huge pot for one of my hibiscuses....
figsinhawaii
Rum Runner in winter form
Afternoon! just thought i would share a pic of my Rum...
merkity
new seedling
one of my seedlings bloomed. nice flower shape - have...
merkity
New Hibiscus Society in SoCal
Hi All, We have started a new hibiscus group: The Southern...
holywoodpalms
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™