What is the real Hibiscus sabdariffa (for tea etc.)?

flowersandthings(MidAtlantic 6/7)June 5, 2005

Hi which is the REAL Hibiscus sabdariffa? I googled some images thinking it might make a nice plant for tea and decorative uses.... I googled images and found some images of some very unattractive and TINY white (mallow type) flowered plants and some very large (showy! :) ) pink plants.... Which is the real one? I wouldn't want to eat the wrong one! What does the hibiscus for eating (tea etc.) look like? Scientific name is usually ( I think) Hibiscus sabdariffa..... Thanks :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beachbarbie(z9a/8b NC)

The Australian Hibiscus Society has the info on the real deal. You can find links from their page to recipies, etc.
Barb

Bookmark   June 6, 2005 at 6:59PM
bruggirl(8b)

This is what mine looks like. Flower isn't much to look at. It's the seed pods that are pretty.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   June 6, 2005 at 9:19PM
beachbarbie(z9a/8b NC)

Hibiscus rosa-sinensis petals are used for a tea also. Have you tried that? I'm going to try and make some tomorrow.
Barb

Bookmark   June 7, 2005 at 2:50PM
Jazmyn(Z5 Ohio)

I've made tea from the blooms of the Hibiscus syriacus I have in my gardens...the Mt. Sinai variety makes a rich tea (using just 1 or 2 blooms in a saucepan, with maybe 3 cups of water) which i then cut down about 4 to 1 with water. I've found it makes a wonderful, naturally sweet drink when put thru my iced tea maker. I'll often add in some lemonbalm (as a treatment for my herpes) and this summer I plan to play with borage and a few other herbs to see what other combinations I can come up with.

I'd love to post a picture of my hisbiscus...but can't figure out how. :)
-jaz

Bookmark   June 9, 2005 at 8:00AM
More Discussions
Hibiscus leaves are curling
Help is needed. Although my plant looks healthy with...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
Tropical Hibiscus flowers turned from orange to pale yellow
I bought a tropical hibiscus around 4 months ago and...
AmySA
Please help!
I purchased a lovely pale yellow hibiscus 2 years ago...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
Beautiful indoor hibiscus bloom
Nothing is better to help you survive the dreary winter...
arctictropical
Hibiscus Fertilizer
I purchased a container of Carl Pool hibiscus food...
elizabethk1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™