'Hawaiian Gold' Pineapple

Eggo(z10soCal LBC)November 18, 2004

I had one the other day I'm pretty sure it was a Del Monte, maybe Dole but I don't think Dole uses that name, definitely should of kept the label, it was not a Maui for sure. Anyways I know Del Monte grows pineapple plants outside of Hawaii but do they still name it "Hawaiian Gold." Why? Well, I had one the other day, it was horrible, picked way too green, can't even compare to the Maui ones I had before. Another thing about it was that it had seeds? seeds...? Is this possible in Hawaii, there aren't even suppose to be humming birds there. Most pineapples that contain some seeds are usually from South America. I have also heard about the litigation that is going on between the two companies over patents and trade names. Would be really grateful for any feedback or comments.

-eggo-

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Eggo(z10soCal LBC)

arghh, let me bump this down. I thought it was kinda of interesting to find out if Hawaiian Gold may or may not be from Hawaii.

Bookmark   November 22, 2004 at 3:55PM
Cabbage_King

Eggo-

I didn't check on line re: the Hawaiian Gold name, but if it is a cultivar name it can definitely be grown outside Hawaii. In fact, pineapple suffered the same fate as Mac nuts (i.e. Hawaiian Host) as an ag product that was developed primarily in Hawaii, benefiting from imagery associated with paradise, then gone global following cheap labor worldwide.

As far as hummigbirds go, I don't know but it's possible some other creature , although an inefficient pollinator, managed to make the cross. Another possibility is apomixis, the formation of seed in the absence of fertilization, though I don't recall this being a characteristic of pineapple. Another forum (seed saving, I think) discussed pineapple seed a while back.
-Ted

Bookmark   November 23, 2004 at 1:37AM
Eggo(z10soCal LBC)

thanks for the info Ted. That was very interesting about the Mac nuts. The last thing I heard was that their is a litigation about the name "Hawaiin Gold" between the two companies. The seed issue seems to not just be me, there was also another poster that also had a pineapple with seeds. Before this I had only ran into South American pineapples that had seed.

Bookmark   November 28, 2004 at 5:23PM
bald_999(11 Hawaii)

Aloha! This question has little to do with "Hawaiian Gold" pineapples specifically, but maybe I could get some advice. I recently learned that you can grow a pineapple by twisting the leaves off of the top and setting the bottom of it in water. Has anyone else heard of this? How do you know how far in the water to set it, or when to transfer it into soil? Just wondering

Bookmark   January 13, 2005 at 11:45PM
Sunrays(CA 10a)

I think this might be what you're looking for.
http://www.mauipineapple.com/products_hawaiian.htm

It's the brand they sell at many so Cal grocery stores.

Bookmark   May 6, 2005 at 1:31PM
More Discussions
Anybody still here?
Is Gardenweb dead, or are there still people here?
Axel
Camellia sinensis
Hi, I just bought this plant at the urban garden center....
borgf15
Pepper seeds
I was thinking of ordering some peppers. I live on...
Backfreeze
Help ID small tree/bush
It's about 6'tall, 6' wide.
borgf15
Tree Collards
I understand there is a tree collard that never goes...
ediblelandscape
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™