Hibiscus sabdariffa

randg(11)November 9, 2008

Does anyone grow this hibiscus? If so, do you use the flower and leaves often as food? Truthfully, how does it taste like? I should have tasted it when I was taking the picture, but I didn't know it then that it was edible.

I went to Oahu Urban Garden Center and they were selling it. Unfortunately I didn't buy it, I bought other plants. Next month of the second Saturday, I'm hoping they still has some for sale on their Mini-Plant sale Saturday.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johndp8888(Oahu, Hawaii)

I have plants, have tried it and found it to be too mild a flavor to be useful for me. Look it up in "wichapedia"(sp)for a lot of detail as various parts of the plant are used. It does add a lot of color.

Bookmark   November 9, 2008 at 9:50AM
ohiagarden

It is a pretty plant. John, the one you gave me is growing well. I can't thank you enough!! I didn't realize what you gave me until just now!!! Now I am waiting for the calyx to steep for tea. It is a very popular tea in places like egypt or thailand. I have had it, and like it alot.

Bookmark   November 9, 2008 at 10:25AM
beginnersmind

I grow it for the calyxes, which I make into tea. Plant in spring, and they're fat and ready to harvest beginning in November. Yum! I just blogged about it a few days ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roselle, Hibiscus sabdariffa

Bookmark   November 16, 2008 at 11:34PM
More Discussions
Vireyas in Hilo
The local chapter of the Rhododendron Society is doing...
steiconi
Starting Lilikoi from seed?
Aloha, Have tried and tried, and can't seem to figure...
garden_isle_dave
Streptocarpus in Hawaii
I've grown Streps in cooler climates before, but now...
maui_jen
Growers Wanted: Native Hawaiian Plants
Hi, I just wanted to know if there are any fellow "Native...
Cyanea
Neem trees
Anyone know of a nursery in The Islands that sells...
MJMaui
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™