3 Bean Salad and Onion Relish??

kikistreehouseApril 6, 2012

Hi Everyone. Its been awhile .Ive been learning canning from a Pro. Iam loving it more and more.My question is Does anyone have a recipe for Canning Onion Relish. My huband had a jar he loved it on hot dogs and Bratworst. I cant find it . I remember it had a yellow tint to it(maybe mustard seeds) and I cant remember any other ingredent but onions. Does anyone have a recipe for this. Can you Please share with me. Also I have 3 bean salad recipe for canning and it calls for pints. Is there another recipe for quarts. My daughter is in Germany(Army) and will be comming back to the states. Iam not sure where they will be stationed yet. But I'am canning up fruits and vegetables for them to take to their new home. Theres 5 in the family , A pint of "3 Bean Salad is just small. They would have to open 2 or 3 for a side dish, Does anyone have a recipe for quarts. Please share. I've been canning Mullberry Jam Every other day. The birds get the top of the tree Mullberrys. So far 48 pints. divided up with us and each of my kids familys. I.ve been putting vegetables up also. Iam in no hurry to try meats thou.My garden I started awhile back has been a learning experence, I didnt plant enough of anything. Iam getting tomatoes every couple days.Squash i got a few and beans are huge! Cucumbers arent doing so good. Peppers are doing good,Strawberries are good , Cabbage is good. eggplant we'll see yet. Thank you so much for your knowledge. Ive learned alot from all of you . I constantly go back and reread what I can on here.Thanks ,jamie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Here is the recipe for 3 Bean Salad. As you can see it is for pints or half pints only. Far as I know there is no tested processing time for quarts. I check through all the previous discussions here about 3 Bean Salad and I don't find any recommendations or links to quart processing times.

I did find this one with some additional recipes but they are also for pints.

As for the onion relish - NCHFP has the Pepper and Onion Relish recipe and Joy of Pickling has one for Red Onion Relish and there is a similar one in Small Batch Preserving. But most onion relish recipes also include other things like peppers or tomatoes or cukes and such. Even Sweet Vidalia Onion Relish calls for peppers and cabbage (but it is yellow). I don't know of one that is straight onions, sorry.

Maybe someone else knows of one.

Dave

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 6:15PM
kikistreehouse

Thanks Dave. I just cant remember what else was in the relish I know it had other stuff, I dont eat it so I didnt pay attention to it. It make sence now why I cant find another recipe for quarts(3 Bean salad) .. I'll just make pints,,, Thanks again Dave.. jamie

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 6:23PM
pixie_lou

I make a vidalia onion relish. I originally got the recipe from the vidalia onion web site, but I can't seem to find the recipe on that site any more, but I did find it on a blog.

It's just vidalia onions with vinegar and spices. It is super yummy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vidalia Onion Relish Recipe

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 8:42PM
More Discussions
Freezing stuffed peppers?
I have sooo many beautiful sweet peppers and quite...
aka_peggy
Who uses the foodsaver?
I haven't canned in several years. I've been gardening...
nancyjane_gardener
serrano peppers everywhere
I have so many serrano peppers this year it's amazing....
prairie_love
Jerusalem artichokes
Hi, I harvested my Jerusalem artichokes and brushed...
jokuehn
Have you made sweet & sour Indian lemon pickles?
I have made north African preserved lemons several...
veeta
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™