What killed my tomato?

venussmurfNovember 2, 2013

I'm tired of paying through the nose for fresh vegetables and decided to get back into gardening. I already have two plants growing in a container outside, and I picked up a salad tomato plant the other day from Wal-Mart to start another batch.

The salad plant had been perfectly healthy when I bought it, but while it did fine for about a week, I noticed that one set of leaves were wilting a little. A day later, all of the leaves were shriveled to the point of no return.

What murdered my plant? I'm not a stranger to growing tomatoes, though this is admittedly the first time I've tried in Hawaii, but I've never seen a plant die like that. The other tomato plants are fine, but I'm concerned that I've either done something to kill the plant or that it has a fungus or something that can spread.

Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ediblelandscape

For your tomato to die that quickly it probably isn't something you did, as long as you treated it well. I have grown tomatoes here for many years, and they are surprisingly difficult here because of fusarium wilts, and nematodes. I mostly grow cherries tomatoes now because of the fruit fly problem. Tomatoes are very sensitve to a fungus at the spot they emerge from the soil. Slugs will eat around the stem and kill the tomato quickly also. We have a lot of slugs in Hawaii.

Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 2:00AM
More Discussions
Pua KiniKini with no blooms
My Pua KiniKini tree is many years old, looks just...
JanisB
Upcountry Vegetable Gardening Hawaii Island
Finally retired, and ready to start a new vegetable...
volcanovillage
Gritty Mix
Was wondering if anyone uses Al's gritty mix. I'm been...
farm96744
Kukui tree
I love Kukui trees because they provide a ton of shade,...
notguilty-808
WANTED: newbie
Aloha, I'm a newbie. I'm starting an herb and veggie...
krwhit
Sponsored Products
6*8 Double Sharp Plug High Power Car LED Lamp
$3.95 | ParrotUncle
Orchestra Art Print
$28.99 | Dot & Bo
PublicLight Magic LED Lighting Champagne Flutes (Set of 6)
Overstock.com
Manhattan Pillow - Set of 2
Home Decorators Collection
Floral Personalized Labels - Set of 96
$15.99 | zulily
Alys Edwards - Smack That Glass - AECKISSMKGLS416
$50.00 | PlumbTile
70-inch Urban Blend Ash Grey Wood TV Stand
Overstock.com
nuLOOM Varanas Lime 2' 6 x 8' Rectangular Runner Rug
$124.00 | LuxeDecor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™