Ti Logs/Shoots ?

Island.PnoyNovember 22, 2011

I recently planted some ti logs, about eight (8) inches long, vertically into soil. The logs have sprouted multiple new leaves. I was wondering are these new sprouts going to mature into the trees themselves? If so do I cut them off of the 'log' and plant them separately? See picture on "Ti" link. Thanks for the help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ti

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gtanaka

If you let the Ti grow as is, each shoot will become a mature cane still attached to the orignal cane (multiple canes off of one cane). There's nothing wrong with that, however, if you prefer to have single canes, remove the shoots from the original cane and plant them separately, after they mature a little.

Bookmark   November 30, 2011 at 9:54AM
Island.Pnoy

I figured that would be so. So the log will have no more top growth itself ?Thank you for your time and help.

Bookmark   November 30, 2011 at 12:48PM
gtanaka

The original log will continue to sprout new additional off-shoots even after you separate the off-shoots from the original log. Each time you cut a log, any log, additional off-shoots will sprout from just below the cutting point. Therefore, you can have many off-shoots from one orignal log and any off-shoots from the original log. you must be totally confused by now...........

Bookmark   December 5, 2011 at 8:58PM
Island.Pnoy

I got it. I think I am just so anxious for them to grow I wanted to mentally understand what is to come before seeing it. All of your information is very helpful and I cannot wait. I recently came into some seeds, so I will test my luck with them. Thanks again for all your help.

Bookmark   December 5, 2011 at 11:18PM
More Discussions
Kukui tree
I love Kukui trees because they provide a ton of shade,...
notguilty-808
young mango not growing
I live in east Honolulu and planted a Florigon mango in...
Kathleen Kihmm Connolly
Identification of Plant
Can anyone tell me what this plant is? I have googled...
possiexx
Is my favourite hawaiian seller gone for good?
Hey guys, I'm just dropping in from the fragrant forum...
fenius
Neem trees
Anyone know of a nursery in The Islands that sells...
MJMaui
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™