Is this to low acid for canning?

Jeff77503April 22, 2012

I am trying to make a tomato based mango salsa for canning, in a post from a couple years ago Dave posted that you could substitute 3 cups of tomatos for mangos. I think that this recipe would be good for canning:

3 cups roma Tomatos

3 cups mango

1.5 cups red pepper

0.5 cups onion

3/4 cup brown sugar

4 jalapenos

2 tsp fresh garlic

2 tsp fresh ginger

1.25 cups lemon juice

0.5 cup water

From what I have read it should be okay because the lemon juice is better at bringing down the pH than vinegar. Thanks for the help

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Well you could always pressure can it with no safety concerns except it would be a 'guessed' time.

For BWB canning it is "probably" safe with that much lemon juice but that's another guess. There is just no way to know for sure. And there is still the density issue to consider. It sounds like it would be pretty thick.

NCHFP has a Mango chutney recipe that you can add tomatoes to and use it as a base recipe. It already has the onions and I suppose you could sub some peppers for some of them but it is still a make-it-up-as-you-go-along recipe which is strongly discouraged in BWB canning. And it calls for 3 cups of vinegar!

So with all the guesses, the unknown pH factor, the density issue, and the no-cooking before eating factor combined, personally I would not do it. I'd make it and freeze it.

Dave

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 3:23PM
More Discussions
Which fish varieties can (or can't) be pressured canned?
My husband Fishes. And Catches. My freezer already...
jill2761
Carnitas pressure canning question
Hello! I've been reading up on DigDirt's carnitas (http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg051438097651.html)...
PirateJeni
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
Freezing stuffed peppers?
I have sooo many beautiful sweet peppers and quite...
aka_peggy
Jerusalem artichokes
Hi, I harvested my Jerusalem artichokes and brushed...
jokuehn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™