Gophers and transplanting ?

nancyjane_gardener(Zone 8ish North of San Francisco in the "real" wine country)April 8, 2010

Yes, I would LOVE to transplant my gophers, BUT.......

My questions are, Do gophers like herbs? I have my gardens in raised beds, but have to re-do one of the beds cause the wire underneath finally gave out after 9 years and the gophers invaded. I was hoping to turn this area into a nice fountain/flower/herb area, but don't know weather to re-wire the area ($, ya know!)

My second ? is, do herbs transplant easily?

I have

sage

oregano

tarragon

thyme

stevia

marjorum

That's it as far as I can remember.

Thanks, Nancy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CA Kate

I also have a gopher problem. I don't have the gophers eating the herbs, only digging tunnels under the plants -- and dangling roots can't survive. If I were going to all the trouble of putting in a whole new bed, I'd rewire.... but I just might use the plastic fence "wire" instead because it won't deteriorate. I haven't tried it yet, but think I might next time 'round.

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 1:12AM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

It's surprising what "critters" will eat. The big 4-footed "gophers" with antlers visit my gardens more (a.k.a. white-tailed deer). But I did have rabbits and woodchucks of the mind to visit and hang out in my gardens until I had my dog chase them a few times. They decided it wasn't safe for them and moved on.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 8:44AM
nancyjane_gardener(Zone 8ish North of San Francisco in the "real" wine country)

Westelle, do you know anything about the plastic "wire" that they call "landscape fabric"?
I don't know about your gophers, but I think mine would chew through that plastic stuff in no time!
My wire lasted 9 years. NT

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 9:54PM
CA Kate

I'm not familiar with plastic wire that's landscape fabric. What i did use under a seating area was a heavy plastic fencing material. The holes were about 1". My purpose there was to keep the ground squirrels from undermining the soil under the chairs. Tomorrow I will go out and check on it's condition. I've used wire for years and have had some, but not complete, success.

Bookmark   April 10, 2010 at 12:01AM
More Discussions
When can you plant Cilantro seeds in your Garden?
I'm in Zone 5, I know Cilantro can tolerate some cool...
jd101
Bushy Dill
I am an admirer of the the large and lush fresh dill...
chervil2
African blue basil
I live in central TN and am looking for an African...
rksamon
Where can I get Equisetum arvense or Horsetail
I've been looking for Equisetum arvense or Horsetail...
forestelves
Have you heard of "Orange Mint?"
I just saw this variety of mint as a small plant being...
peterk312
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™