Has my Parsley Bolted....

computergardener(z7 NC)April 22, 2008

This parsley is only 1 year old, but it looks like it is starting to bolt and will go to seed this spring. Do I need to pick up another plant or two if I want parsley this year. Or can I cut this pack and it will be fine?

Here is a link that might be useful: Image of Parsley

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maifleur01

Parsley is a biennal. Puts up leaves first year, puts up seed stalks second year then dies. Plant new plants while waiting for the seeds to become ripe.

Bookmark   April 22, 2008 at 10:57PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Short answer - yes. If you leave it alone it might self seed if it can pentrate that mulch. Meanwhile start or buy some new plants.

Bookmark   April 23, 2008 at 2:53PM
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

Parsley will go to seed early if it has been subjected to late transplanting, or a sudden change in temperature, or other 'abuse'. Also (something to watch for) some unscrupulous nurseries will sell you small seedlings that are actually more than a year old and treated with anti-growth hormones. So when you plant them, and you think you've got a true baby, actually you've got a year-old plant instead!

Yes, your parsley is going to seed, which is a pity because the plant is very small for an adult. Let it go to seed and you could find parsley plants all over the place next year.

Bookmark   April 23, 2008 at 6:22PM
CA Kate

I agree with all said above. Only thing to add is that the tiny flowers on the umbel will attrack some useful tiny, non-stinging, bees and wasps to your garden.

Bookmark   April 26, 2008 at 10:57PM
More Discussions
Different varieties of papalo?
I have papalo seed from 4 different vendors for a while...
KudosFromUdo
Tea identification
Hello guys, My father in law had a neighbor who used...
beltroniko
Herb Seedlings Yellowing - Basil, Oregano, Chives
I just started some herb seeds and was wondering if...
syntria
I'm starting to grow a small herb garden. I need help and advice
I live in the Philippines in the southern part of it....
ktp101
Mint leaves have black spots. Is it mint rust?
I have taken a lot of gardening tips by reading this...
patio_garden
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™