stevia

MissGardnerDecember 17, 2003

Does anyone here in Da Islands have stevia?

thanks!

bwheeler in Honaunau

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
isatoo(z11hi)

Hi! Where is Honaunau? On Oahu, you can get Stevia from Star garden (it comes and goes), at Home Depot, Walmart, Kilgo's, and Niu Nursery, to name a few.
I really like Kilgo's because they usually have the standard herbs with a small selection of "different", unusual plants/trees.
Niu Nursery (both of them--side by side, they are related. Situated in Hawaii Kai), is really wonderful to visit. If you get a chance, talk story with the owners. It doesn't matter which one you go to. In fact, go to both.
I grew Stevia in a pot once (about 3-5 gallon), it was a weed! I ended up giving it away because I couldn't stand the after-taste of the leaves. (Yup, I'm a "taster"--meaning even diet coke leaves a bitterish aftertaste in my mouth).
By the way, if you are not on this island, you may be able to order from Niu.
Good Luck and happy plant hunting.

Bookmark   December 24, 2003 at 1:56PM
KonaPhil(Hawaii)

Aloha Bud W

I have stevia and I am on the big island near Matsuma. Give me a call at 325-6465 or e-mail me at philmink@yahoo.com and I will give you a start. I have seen plants at Walmart. They don't have it all of the time though.

Phil

Bookmark   December 25, 2003 at 11:51AM
hotzcatz(Hamakua, Hawaii)

I just got one at the Kona plant sale last weekend. Do they become invasive? I've planted it out in the yard and so far (it's been two days) it hasn't taken over. How do you use the leaves to sweeten things? Dry them out and grind them up?

Bookmark   October 8, 2004 at 2:41AM
More Discussions
Hawaii forum People?
Where are all my brothers and sister from Hawaii on...
Ringsixty
Hibiscus group on Big Island?
Anybody know of a Hibiscus group or society or club...
steiconi
Help ID small tree/bush
It's about 6'tall, 6' wide.
borgf15
Lava rock
I am curious if the lava rock sold for grill use can...
susanZ9B
Anybody still here?
Is Gardenweb dead, or are there still people here?
Axel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™