Stevia pruning question

catman529(6b)April 3, 2009

My S. rebaudiana plants are only a couple inches tall, but I will put them in the garden in a few weeks and expect them to be larger by then.

In order to keep them from bolting, can I pinch the growing tips and let suckers grow in, very much like you would do with basil? Will this work to keep the flavor quality of the leaves for a longer period of time so I can harvest more useable leaves?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

My advice is to leave your stevia well alone and let it do its own thing. It can be a temperamental thing, and can die on you for no apparent reason. It won't flower until autumn, at which time you should remove all the flowers - if you don't, it may die.

Before it flowers, you'll have plenty of opportunity to harvest the leaves, but it could be a year or two before your plant is of a really useful size. Never remove more than one third of total growth at any one time. Once mature, it doesn't mind a haircut like that, and it will produce more bottom growth as a result.

Stevia grows best in a tropical or subtropical climate, so keep it in full sun. It's a fairly thirsty plant, but must have excellent drainage.

Bookmark   April 4, 2009 at 3:48AM
catman529(6b)

I might not overwinter most of my stevia; I'll probably just re-sow every year except for maybe a couple plants.

How large can I expect the plants to grow in the first year?

Bookmark   April 5, 2009 at 2:26PM
jjaazzy

How do you use your Stevia? I have a small plant but am unsure how to use it.

Bookmark   April 9, 2009 at 10:11PM
catman529(6b)

I will be using it to sweeten anything possible. Obviously, the recipes which heavily rely on sugar for consistency won't work with stevia, but I will do whatever I can with it, including eating leaves straight off the plant. I will also try making an extract/syrup for a water-soluble sweetener. Supposedly this is done with dry leaves and either water or grain alcohol.

I have noticed one of my plants has a much stronger sweetness than the others. I've eaten the bottom leaves...it's going to be hard resisting eating more, but I don't want to do any more damage. Once they are out of the potting soil and fluorescent light, I am assuming their potency will get much higher in the garden with strong direct sunlight.

Bookmark   April 11, 2009 at 3:56PM
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

I don't know how you can just eat the leaves! I find them so incredibly sweet that it's overpowering and almost sickening - and I'm a sweet-tooth. I also notice a strong after-taste - very earthy.

Here is a link that might be useful: more about stevia

Bookmark   April 11, 2009 at 6:57PM
catman529(6b)

I agree, the sweetness is overpowering (and I'm sure I haven't yet tasted the sweetest it will get). I like the earthy, anise-like flavor that comes with it. I've heard that some can't stand it, but it doesn't bother me. I can't wait to use this stuff.

Bookmark   April 11, 2009 at 8:30PM
More Discussions
Whats wrong with my basil????
I am struggling with this fussy creature... Just after...
mohort
Growing herbs
Hi all new to this gardening so want as someone something. I...
margowicz
African blue basil
I live in central TN and am looking for an African...
rksamon
Cuttings from thyme
I wonder, I live in Zone 6 and my thyme plant has made...
Steve349
Cilantro indoors
How do I grow cilantro indoors? I'm in Colorado for...
timetraveler
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™